Re: Advanced STAR WARS Theory

Sujet : Re: Advanced STAR WARS Theory
De : YourName (at) *nospam* YourISP.com (Your Name)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 13. Jun 2024, 09:04:19
On 2024-06-13 05:40:37 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
At the battle of Yavin, when Porkins got hit, all the other pilots kept yelling at him to eject before he crashed into the surface of the Death Star, but even if he had...
 (1) He wasn't wearing a full helmet or any kind of clothing that would have allowed him to survive in hard vacuum, and

 No such thing in the Star Wars universe. When the crew of the falcon land
on an asteroid, they just hop out and walk around despite the fact that
there would be no gravity and no atmosphere.
Not an asteroid. They were inside a space slug, and apparently there is sort-of an atmopshere (they Falcon crew did wear oxygen masks) and warmth inside those. Mynocks also live inside the space slug - both can live in space.
<https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Exogorth>

The ships are clearly navigating in an atmosphere at all times and blow up in oxygen rich fireballs.
 Oh, yeah, and it isn’t very cold in space, either.

(2) Where did they expect him to eject *to*? Not only wasn't he wearing a space suit, he wasn't wearing anything that would allow him to maneuver, so he would have just shot out of the cockpit and kept going forever. And that's the best case scenario. If the rebels were successful, he'd be vaporized when the Death Star blew anyway because in the five minutes he had before Luke took the shot, he wouldn't have been able to float far enough away to achieve minimum safe distance.
In the X-Wing novels the ejection system works as in a fighter jet (the coackpit canpoy blows off and the entire seat ejects) then the flight suit or the seat has a miniaturized magnetic containment field that protects the pilot for a short time with limited power to enable potential rescue.
Or perhaps the entire cockpit is an ejection pod, as suggested here (and as used in some other Star Wars fighters):
     X-Wing Ejection: It all makes sense now...
     <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzmoYE8nkaE>

 I think Porkins made the best choice available to him.
  Also, I don't know why this bit of humor has escaped me all these years:
 FLIGHT CONTROL: Enemy fighters coming your way.
 LUKE: I don't see any fighters on my scope.
 RED LEADER: Pick up your visual scanning.
 Translation from military jargon speak: "Look out the damn window."