Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-06-17 (Monday)

Sujet : Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-06-17 (Monday)
De : arthur (at) *nospam* alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 18. Jun 2024, 19:11:56
On 6/18/2024 8:46 AM, shawn wrote:
On Tue, 18 Jun 2024 08:31:30 -0700, "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid>
wrote:

On 6/18/24 1:30 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:

What did you watch?

First day of summer work (so a little hectic). But I still got through a
movie:

soaps: DOOL - Ha! They didn't forget about the DNA test results in the
DiMera safe!! Stefan blackmails EJ (over the paternity results), and is
forcing EJ to try to get his old job, as DA, back. (If this happens, I
can't wait to see the look on Melinda Trask's face!) Brady fills Tate in
on how NuTheresa used him to get Alex back; later, Tate runs across
Holly, and they're almost about to make out when Theresa catches them.
    GH - Ugh - a birthday party for stupid Willow! (I lost life levels
watching this!!) Meanwhile, Alexis confronts Finn who continues to be a
mean drunk. Lizzie blows the whistle on drunk Finn to his boss, Portia.
    Y&R - Half of this ep before work - Audra continues to take her
Revenge!! and stick it to Tucker (you go girl!).

Emily (Showtime via Pee+) - Been meaning to get to this 2022 bio pic of
Emily Bronte, starring Emma Mackey, for a while, and nothing on Tubi was
grabbing me last night, so I decided to watch this.
    Hey! This was written and directed by Frances O'Connor - I wasn't
sure she was still around!
    The problem here is that this begins with an out-of-sequence opening
scene (unnecessary), and is heavily, heavily fictionalized, making up a
lover for Emily (no mention of this anywhere in Bronte's biographies!!),
and gets basic details wrong, like implying that Charlotte Bronte didn't
write "Jane Eyre" until after Emily died (in fact, "Jane Eyre" was
published a month before "Wuthering Heights"!). They also in some places
make Charlotte the villain, which I didn't appreciate. And the film
completely downplays Anne Bronte's role in Emily's life, which is also
an unwelcome change.
    Mackey is good in the role though, and the film successfully
convinces you that Emily Bronte was an odd duck (in modern terms, you
have to wonder if she was "on the spectrum"...).

What did you watch?
 I watched the first few minutes of IF. I was a bit confused to see
Jack Ryan, I mean John Krasenski, in the movie
Krasinski also wrote and directed the movie.
as I had thought Ryan
Reynolds was the main adult in the film. Sure enough this was just the
sad setup for the young lady who stars in the film as her mom passes
away and apparently Krasenski (her dad) is having mental issues and so
is hospitalized. Which leads the young lady back to a former child
hood home with her grandmother and an encounter with Ryan Reynolds'
character and a few of the IFs. That's about as far as I got before my
bed's siren call reached out to me. I'll try to get back to it
tonight.
 What did you watch?
I watched:
Teen Titans: The Judas Contract (blu-ray) 2017 DC animated movie set in the DCAMU.  The last Teen Titans movie had a post credit scene showing Terra flying towards the Titans.  This one picks up with Terra (Christina Ricci) now part of the team.  The plot involve es Deathstroke (Miguel Ferrer) being hired by Brother Blood (Gregg Henry) to capture the Titans for his evil plan.  It was pretty good, especially with Ferrer chewing the scenery.
Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay (4K disc) 2018 R-rated DC animated movie set in the DCAMU.  Amanda Waller assembles a team of villains to retrieve a card that will send whoever is holding it straight to heaven when they die.  But Waller isn't the only one who wants it and the movie turns into a bloodbath as everyone is out to get their hands on that card. This movie ties directly in with "Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox" which was the first movie in the DCAMU.
Constantine: City of Demons (4K disc) 2018 R-rated DC animated movie set in the DCAMU.  According to Wiki this movie is also set in the Tomorrowverse.  Honestly, the movie doesn't seem to be set in either universe and feels more like a standalone.  But whatever.  The movie stars Matt Ryan who of course returns to once again voice John Constantine.  He's trying to save a young girl who's soul is being held hostage by a demon.