Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-06-20 (Thursday)

Sujet : Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-06-20 (Thursday)
De : ijball (at) *nospam* mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 21. Jun 2024, 18:24:32
On 6/21/24 1:30 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:

What did you watch?
On the last workday of the (summer!) work week, I watched soaps and some more movies!:
soaps: DOOL - This was mostly set up for the "prom" episode that will come Friday. (Uh, it's mid- to late-June - Do HS's *anywhere* have prom this late in the year?!!) Anyway, NuTate's date (can't remember her name) overhears Tate and his friend (can't remember his name) talking about prom, and realizes that Tate isn't interested in her and is just using her to get close to Holly - later, Tate's date rats out their scheme to NuTheresa! So they're going to get busted on Friday. Meanwhile, Theresa has a disturbing dream about giving it all up for Brady! Stefan forces EJ to reveal he's DA again to Nicole.
    GH - Finn's bosses refuse to let him back to work, and he takes it about as well as expected. Spinelli gets the audio file of Carly's incriminating confession that Jagger has been holding over Jason and makes a copy for Sam, who beelines it to Carly.
    Y&R - I only saw a little bit of this - Victoria's younger daughter still resents the insertion of Claire into their lives. Claire commiserates with Kyle (I can't even figure it out - are they blood relatives, or not?! I think they're not...).
Target: My Daughter (Tubi) - This was interesting - this 2017 thriller felt too low-budget to be a Lifetime flick (IOW, even lower budget than a Hybrid Films flick!), so it never made it to Lifetime.
    Also, I have a theory that Yancy Butler has been blackballed by Lifetime (I think she appeared in a Lifetime film or two a decade or more ago, but has not been in a Lifetime flick in at least a decade!), so they probably wouldn't take a movie with her anyway...
    But it also stars Karis Cameron, c. 2017 - so between Cameron doing "Open Heart" in 2015 and her first Lifetime flick (which was "Identity Theft of a Cheerleader") in 2019 - back when Karis Cameron was still young and beautiful (and before she put on the weight, post-2020 - Cameron effectively hasn't worked since 2022).
    Anyway, in this, Cameron's character witnesses the murder of her father (via cell phone), by a gangster (Aurelio Di Nunzio), and so she and her mother (Butler) - who, of course, happens to be ex-special forces or something - are put into witness protection (the original title of this flick was "Witness Protection") in a coastal village somewhere (this couldn't look more like British Columbia if they tried!!).
    And, of course, the gangster sends a hitman (hey! it's Sebastian Spence!) after them.
    This was barely OK, but I enjoyed Butler's twitchy performance as sort of crummy mom-type, and Karis Cameron has perhaps never looked better than here.
Prowl (2010) (Tubi) - OK, I am about 95% sure I have seen this 2010 flick before, most likely on the Chiller channel back in the midish-2010s.
    This has an even more laughable crediting sitch' than the movies I watched on Wednesday - the indisputable "star" of this 2010 horror flick is Courtney Hope (before she f**ked up her looks and got gigs on B&B and Y&R - Hope is naturally thin-lipped as you can see here, but in later life she has refused to accept this fact...  :/  ) - anyway, Hope is credited *third* in the film's primary end-credits, and *fifth*!! in the film's cast list credits. Despite being the film's clear lead!! That's ridic.
    Anyway, Hope's character ropes in a bunch of friends (among them, a young Perdita Weeks (after she did "The Tutors" but before "As Above, So Below"), Ruta Gedmintas and Josh Bowman (from "Revenge")) to accompany her to Chicago. For [reasons], they are eventually to be transported there by a truck driver played by Bruce Payne - hint: if your driver is played by Bruce Payne, he is up to no good.
    From this point, the film doesn't waste anytime in getting to (improbable!) horror.
    This was about on part with Wed's flick "Underground" - it's a decent "ride", once it gets started.
    P.S. In this one, Perdita Weeks has arguably the most horrific death scene.  :/
My Two Husbands (LMN) - This wasn't nearly as lurid as I was hoping.
    Also, I was kind of hoping that Kabby Borders would figure out a way to get out from under the EVOL! first husband, and just live "happily ever after" with the conned second husband.
    Part of the issue with this film is that both Kabby Borders' character, and the character of the step-daughter played by Isabelle Almoyan, were both too stupid to live!
    It's hard to root for anybody when your lead characters are too stupid to live!
    Anyway, this was just mostly OK, though it was kind of fun to see Almoyan's character continually get herself into situations where she should have ended up dead!!
What did you watch?