Re: Superman (1978) John Williams' score

Sujet : Re: Superman (1978) John Williams' score
De : arthur (at) *nospam* alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 05. Jul 2024, 23:08:47
On 7/4/2024 1:17 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
On 7/3/2024 11:49 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
In article <v63kgq$26o4m$1@dont-email.me>, ahk@chinet.com wrote:
Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
On 6/26/2024 10:58 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:

But the Superman I grew up with in adaptations was more cynical, if not
the film noir elements of the first season of The Adventures of Superman
starring George Reeves. In the few radio serials I've heard, Bud Collyer
was terrific.

You like your Superman to strand people on the top of a mountain and
leave them to die?  ;-)

I know which George Reeves episode you were talking about. As far as I
know, there was no Bud Collyer script like that.

I don't know if there were George Reeves episodes that were remakes of
radio or movie serial scripts.

AFAIK, they were all based on fairly recent comic book stories.

No. Absolutely none of them.

Remember, TV and movie writers don’t read. Especially source material. And
they look down viciously on comic books as being beneath them.

Hell, even in the pilot episode they got Ma and Pa Kent’s first names
wrong.

Were Clark's and Bruce's mothers both named "Martha" in the comics?  I'm
sure I've heard "Martha" used for Clarks mom multiple times over the
years, but I don't recall ever hearing a name for Bruce's mom before the
Snyder movie.
 Martha Clark Kent (close your eyes and you can hear Glenn Ford call her
that)
I sure can.  :-)
has been Mary and Sarah and Marthe but she’s been Martha since like
1950.
 Now Mom Wayne… I’m gonna have to look that up.
 Wow. I am learning stuff.
 Martha Wayne was a nameless cipher early on much as Martha Kent was. But
unlike Martha Kent, “Martha“ is the only first name the bat mom has ever
had.
 When it was first used though is a little harder to track down.
 Her maiden name was Kane, which I never knew and makes all the various bat
women people cousins to Batman!
 Lauren Cohen played her in Dawn ofJustice!  She’s credited as Martha and
that was 2016.
 Wiki says she was Martha Wayne in Batman 1989 but the credits just call her
Mrs. Wayne.
 OK, she’s credited on screen as Martha Wayne in 2005s Batman Begins. So the
name predates Snyder by at least a decade.
 Setting the way back machine farther and further…
 Aha! Martha Wayne was credited on screen by that name in 1995’s Batman
Forever!  So at least 20 years before Snyder.
 Adrienne Barbeau played Martha Wayne in the 1992 Batman the animated series
episode “Perchance to Dream“ S01E26
I’m absolutely certain she wouldn’t be credited as the character, but I
have no idea if they said her name aloud.
Unfortunately, the episode titles and dates from IMDb don’t match Amazon at
all. So I can’t actually check the episode because I can’t find anything
like it…
Got it! Amazon calls it S02E02. And it’s free to watch! I am going in…
 God, I hate the people that programs streamers. They absolutely will not
let me watch the ending credits of the episode. They either put a preview
of the next episode over the credits or just jump to the next episode,
whether you want them to or not. I managed to make out that they credited
Adrienne Barbeau as “Catwoman“ so I doubt she’ll get a second credit as Ma
Wayne.  The x-ray feature calls her Martha, but of course that was
programmed quite recently. It does sort of infer that the script called her
that though.

Thank you!  So Snyder didn't just make it up.  Good to know.