Re: Petential Energy doing Work

Sujet : Re: Petential Energy doing Work
De : jeffl (at) *nospam* cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Groupes : rec.bicycles.tech
Date : 29. Jun 2024, 03:43:15
On Sat, 29 Jun 2024 00:16:02 GMT, Tom Kunich <cyclintom@yahoo.com>
wrote:

Tom.  I removed all the personal insults to make to make your
questions more readable.

WHAT is a watt/second?

1 watt consumed for 1 second.  However, you've fallen into a common
beginning physics trap.  1 watt-second does NOT equal 1 watt/second or
1 watt per second.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watt>
"While a watt per hour is a unit of rate of change of power with time,
it is not correct to refer to a watt (or watt-hour) as a watt per
hour."

Do you know what PEg=mgh means?

Gravitational_Potential_Energy
  = mass * acceleration_of_gravity * height

The potential energy is in Joules or watt-seconds.
The mass is the weight in Kg.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 meters/second^2 at ground level.
The height is in meters.
<https://courses.lumenlearning.com/suny-physics/chapter/7-3-gravitational-potential-energy/>

Is this a quiz?  Why do you care if I know basic physics?  You, not
me, are the one who is having problems understanding the basics.  You
should have been introduced to the basic concepts in high school.  Oh,
you didn't graduate high school, so you probably didn't have any
classes in basic physics.

I'm a fan of Khan Academy for teaching the basics.  Unit 5 covers work
and energy.  I suggest that you watch a few classes.  Don't worry.
Nobody will know.

...dropping the CG in a turn increases the power of the moving body.

Gosh.  That's truly amazing.  All I need to do is lay down on the
ground, which drops my center of mass to ground level, and I get a
free increase in "power".  Somehow, that doesn't seem quite right. You
could replace "power" with potential energy, but then you have to
claim that a drop in my center of mass causes a decrease in potential
energy and not an increase.  I think you could determine what you did
wrong with no additional assistance.

Please notice that I have replaced your "center of gravity" with
"center of mass".  It's the mass that descends.  Gravity doesn't move.

If you were able to bend down on one knee and then stand up
perhaps you'd be able to detect that it requires signifcant
power to stand up again.

Mind if I lay down on the ground instead of bending the knee?  If I
lay down on the ground, my center of gravity goes to ground level or
zero height.  If I bend the knee, my center of mass descends a much
smaller distance than if I lay down on the ground.

I'm not sure exactly how you expect me to "detect" the "power" I need
to stand up.  The energy required depends heavily on the speed at
which I stand up.  If I do it slowly, I less energy.  If I get up
quickly, it requires more energy.

But rather than think, you prefer to blither. That is why
you've lived your entire life at the expense of your inheritance.

Thanks.  You just made my day.  Where did you ever get the idea that I
had an inheritance?  When my father had a stroke in 1986 and spent 9.5
years mostly in a convalescent hospitals, the family managed to burn a
substantial amount of cash keeping him comfortable, supporting my
step-mother, and maintaining the business.  At the time, his life
insurance payments were $20,000 per year.  Too much, so we cashed out
that policy for only $30,000.  Any income went to paying medical and
convalescent hospital bills.  Because there was a conservatorship, I
had to sign away all my rights to his estate to avoid having to post
an expensive bond that supposedly insured that wouldn't steal money
from the estate:
<https://suretybondauthority.com/conservatorship-bond/>
Except for a few bonds that were held in my name, and the contents of
a safe deposit box (mostly my mothers jewelry), I received nothing
when he died.  The house, its contents, 1/2 the business, etc went to
my step mother.  When she died, that all went to her two worthless
sons.

Now, tell me again how I lived my entire life supported by my
non-existent inheritance?  I want to hear how you imagine I lived in
opulent splendor, just like you are doing from your investments and
spectacular salaries.

--
Jeff Liebermann                 jeffl@cruzio.com
PO Box 272      http://www.LearnByDestroying.com