Re: Fine Tuning Shifting

Sujet : Re: Fine Tuning Shifting
De : jeffl (at) *nospam* cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Groupes : rec.bicycles.tech
Date : 10. Aug 2024, 22:56:32
On Sat, 10 Aug 2024 19:53:16 GMT, Tom Kunich <cyclintom@yahoo.com>
wrote:

Liebermann cannot even envision WHY I would use PWM since he probably has never owned a good oscilloscope.

50% true.

You're correct that I can't envision why *YOU* would want to use PWM
to measure cable length.  You're also correct that I would need to
"envision" what you're doing.  You comment above was sufficiently
grammatically awkward that I had to use a grammar checker to decode
it.

50% wrong.
I still have far too many oscilloscopes:
<https://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/home/test-equip-mess.jpg>
<https://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/crud/scopes-to-be-fixed.jpg>
There are about 8 more scopes hidden in various corners or mounted in
a rack.  Nobody seems to want the older oscilloscopes at any price.  I
keep lusting after a nice new Rigol, but can't justify the expense.

I'm cleaning house right now and plan to eventually give away most of
the oscilloscopes to hams, students, experimenters, builders and
masochists.

I do own one LCD oscilloscope.  Something died inside and I haven't
had time to fix it.  It's an Owon PDS 5022S.
<https://www.google.com/search?q=owon+pds5022s&tbm=isch>

These days, I tend to use a computer and a cheap USB sound dongle for
audio frequencies or something better for higher frequencies and more
features:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=usb+pc+oscilloscope&tbm=isch>

And in some cases, time delays have to be measured down to the microsecond.

Huh?  Microsecond?  Light travels about 300 kilometers (186 miles) in
1 microsecond.  That's a rather large distance for measuring cable
length.  If your mythical "some cases" require precision, you might be
working in nanoseconds where light travels 30 cm (about 1 ft) in 1
nanosecond.  Picoseconds would probably be better.

--
Jeff Liebermann                 jeffl@cruzio.com
PO Box 272      http://www.LearnByDestroying.com