Re: Colnago Dream HP

Sujet : Re: Colnago Dream HP
De : jeffl (at) *nospam* cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Groupes : rec.bicycles.tech
Date : 19. Aug 2024, 17:30:38
On Mon, 19 Aug 2024 07:18:31 GMT, Roger Merriman <roger@sarlet.com>
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com> wrote:
On Sun, 18 Aug 2024 20:31:33 -0400, Frank Krygowski
<frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
(trimmed)
FWIW, I've brought a week's worth of groceries home by bike countless
times. I have two open-top panniers designed for shopping. When they're
filled to the top, some of the load can usually be laid atop the rack
and bungeed in place. It's really not a problem, especially since we
both eat quite a bit less than we used to, which I think is normal at
our age.

Of the bicycle photos Tom has posted on Flickr:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/153690295@N06/with/53906740781>
none of them have pannier racks or threaded eyelets for rack
attachment points.  This is going to require some customizing, a
utility bicycle or as you suggest, a trailer.

There are various bikepacking bags that don’t need panniers racks or hard
attachments points but strap on to the bike or some bike rucksack designed
for such purposes.

When I was still riding, I tried to do computer repair service calls
on my bicycle.  Although I had a rear rack and panniers, I wanted to
experiment with other systems.  To keep my tools and parts from being
stolen, I had to lock the bicycle to a bike rack outside the building,
grab both panniers and carry everything into the building.  That was
tolerable, but I thought that a rack and pack on my back might be
easier.  It wasn't.  The back pack raised my center of gravity
limiting the angle which I could lean the bicycle in a turn.  I also
had some stability problems when riding on uneven pavement.  Even if
the heavy stuff was carried in the bottom of the backpack, the center
of gravity was still higher than with the panniers.  So, I gave up on
the backpack and went back to panniers.  Among my various experiments,
a rear rack with two brief cases seemed to show the most promise.

A weeks groceries for me would be two or three paper grocery bags.
(Single use plastic bags are banned in Santa Cruz county).  If I
didn't plan my trips carefully, I could easily end up with a rather
heavy load of metal cans and liquids.  I never tried grocery shopping
on a bicycle, but did try it on the bus.  Two bags maximum, only when
there was room available for the both bags and myself, with no way to
keep the bags from tipping over.  No thanks.

"Ways to Carry Groceries on a Bicycle"
<https://lbbjkt.com/blogs/journal/ways-to-carry-groceries-on-a-bicycle>
The first suggestions is a backpack carried over the front wheel and
NOT worn on the riders back.  I suspect the author may have
experienced my problems.  Other than the trailer and cargo bicycle,
the other suggestions will not work with two or three grocery bags.

There were times I needed even more capacity - for example, hauling two
kids' plus their backpacks. For that I used a trailer, customized for
the job.

Good idea.  He could tow his Toro lawn mower as a temporary trailer.

Roger Merriman

--
Jeff Liebermann                 jeffl@cruzio.com
PO Box 272      http://www.LearnByDestroying.com