Re: "see? I told you it wasn't my fault"

Sujet : Re: "see? I told you it wasn't my fault"
De : jeffl (at) *nospam* cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Groupes : rec.bicycles.tech
Date : 19. Mar 2024, 20:37:37
On Tue, 19 Mar 2024 05:46:49 -0400, zen cycle
<funkmasterxx@hotmail.com> wrote:

Zipp finally released an analysis of the cause of the crash suffered by
Thomas De Gendt at the UAE tour last month. Yeah, hitting a big-assed
rock (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ICecXdOcTY) will do that.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/zipp-releases-photos-debunking-hookless-rim-failure-after-de-gendt-crash/

Maybe they should have followed tommy's advice and bought the cheap
chinese knock-offs.

Now that the real cause has been identified, is there anyone at the
UCI issuing press releases advocating the ban of carbon fiber rims,
forks and frames?  After all, all innovation can be dangerous and
should be banned before the inevitable carnage arrives.

"Danger From Carbon Fiber Bikes"  (July 22, 2016).
<https://www.twospoke.com/threads/danger-from-carbon-fiber-bikes.17594/>
"On the way back to Castro Valley, my friend Tom Kunich (who was also
riding a full carbon fiber Colnago C-40) crashed on the downhill."
"WARNING! IF YOU OWN A CARBON FIBER BICYCLE THAT IS MORE THAN TWO
YEARS OLD - GET RID OF IT NOW!!! IT CAN CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY OR
DEATH!"

These remind me of the Feb 22, 2024 AT&T cellular outage, which was
initially blamed on a "solar flare":
<https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2024/02/26/att-cellphone-outage-solar-flares-fact-check/72715063007/>

Yes, the first step to solving a problem really is to assign the
blame.  I worked for a company which practiced that no problem can be
solved or even investigated without first blaming someone.

Drivel:  I used to think that the cheap Chinese knock-offs were junk
because the factory or designers didn't have the time or money to do a
proper job.  That was probably true until about 2015, when I started
seeing something rather different.  Before 2015, such products really
were junk when first release, but tended to improve over the life of
the product.  Now, I'm seeing the initial shipments being quite well
designed and built, but later shipments tend to progress toward junk
or worse.  In other words, the Chinese contract manufacturers do have
the talent, time and money to do it right the first time.  However,
once the contracts are signed and the initial reviews are posted to
multiple web sites, it's now time to cut quality, reduce costs, and
sell junk.  It's a strange world we live in.

--
Jeff Liebermann                 jeffl@cruzio.com
PO Box 272      http://www.LearnByDestroying.com