Re: Electric Assist Tandem

Sujet : Re: Electric Assist Tandem
De : frkrygow (at) *nospam* sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Groupes : rec.bicycles.tech
Date : 02. May 2024, 16:53:23
On 5/2/2024 9:00 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/2/2024 4:33 AM, zen cycle wrote:
On 4/30/2024 8:56 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/30/2024 7:21 PM, pH wrote:
I was driving along on my way home and noticed a a Jobst-yellow tandem of
some sort.

I did a double take when I saw a Bosch-like motor bulb on the stoker's pedal
set!  I did not realize that there were electric assist tandems.

By the time that realization set in it was too late to look and see if the
Captain's bottom bracket was motorized, too.

I would not think that that would be the case, but you never know.

pH in Aptos

I think Yamaha and Shimno also make bottom bracket bulbs so no idea what it
was.

I've seen several of the Ba-Feng (sp?) kit's of late as well.

I'll try to do an un-scientific bike survey of what goes by sometime this
next month.

pH in Aptos

Yes battery assist tandems are a thing. As you note, several motor formats just as bicycles generally.

https://2022.santana-tandem.com/en/tandem/e-tandem

There's no point in more than one motor in a drive train. Or on both wheels for that matter.

If we're talking about electric assist bicycles where it can still be propelled with legs in the event of a motor failure, yes. However some redundancy on vehicles without a 'back-up' is indeed practical.

Turbine locomotives have motors on each drive wheel for exactly that purpose. If one motor fails, 7 more are generally enough to still do the job. If the turbine goes, they're still fucked though.
 Well, engineering is achieving a goal with efficiency of limited resources; in the case of a tandem, weight, cost, complexity and service over the system life.  There's room for interpretation and weighing of those factors but a single drive unit has been the overwhelming format.
 Conversely, for an airliner I agree that multiple engines is a reasonable solution.
Right. Benefits vs. detriments.
Detriment of a single motor failure on a tandem: Riders have to pedal a bit harder. Versus detriment of engine failure on a single engine airliner: 100+ fatalities, years or decades of litigation and penalties, loss of future customers, etc.
--
- Frank Krygowski