Re: resistance unit for rollers

Sujet : Re: resistance unit for rollers
De : am (at) *nospam* yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Groupes : rec.bicycles.tech
Date : 15. May 2024, 00:08:11
On 5/14/2024 4:25 PM, Ted Heise wrote:
Hi all,
 Many years ago (25?) I upgraded from a junky old set of rollers to
the standard Kreitler set.  That was a stretch for my budget at
the time, so instead of getting the headwind unit I cobbled
together a way to clamp the mag resistance unit from the old
rollers onto the Kreitler frame.
 Last time I was on the rollers I rode off the edge and banged the
resistance unit off its mount (far from the first time that's
happened).  When I went to set up the rollers this afternoon, I
noticed the odd plastic parts I had previously found on the floor
had broken off from the edge of the mag unit pulley the belt rides
on.  So now I'm shopping for a replacement resistance device.
 I thought I might just get the killer headwind unit (I nearly
always need a fan), but now see they also have a flywheel.  It
looks as if they might be used together, but I've never put the
mag unit resistance above its lowest setting and am thinking maybe
the flywheel on its own might be enough.
 Does anyone here have experience with these Kreitler accessories
and could add your perspective on whether I should consider the
fan, the flywheel, or both?

Fans are very effective resistance and cheap, but loud, which many riders find annoying. OTOH some fans include a shroud to direct a fresh breeze toward the meat machine (you).
Mag units are quieter and offer a wide range of resistance levels as you report.  Polymer degradation after 25 years is not at all unusual. I'd consider just making a new mount- YMMV.
A flywheel impedes acceleration but is hardly noticeable at constant speed. Depends of what you like, I suppose.
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org