Re: Fine Tuning Shifting

Sujet : Re: Fine Tuning Shifting
De : frkrygow (at) *nospam* sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Groupes : rec.bicycles.tech
Date : 26. Jul 2024, 05:07:28
On 7/25/2024 4:54 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/25/2024 2:58 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
I have a continuing problem with the shifting goin out of adustment. In one case the right shifter wire partially broke from my over-tightening it but in the other three cases I've had to mark it down to cable stretch which Andrew says doesn't exist. But the wires did not move and the shifting moved towards shifting into a faster gear. I can only assume that wire layup tightened up a little and showing those symptom.
Bowden wire bicycle gear wires do not stretch.
Agreed. And if they did, Tom should be able to use his amazing technical skills to demonstrate it in his basement lab, a la Fogel Laboratories. I suggest hanging a cable from a fixed point on the ceiling, applying varying weights and using a caliper of some sort to measure differences in length. Keep in mind the cable tension necessary to shift a derailleur is probably under ten pounds.

 Casing seats into ferrules and ferrules into frame stops, but the wires do not change.
Right.
--
- Frank Krygowski