Re: Stuck BB

Sujet : Re: Stuck BB
De : am (at) *nospam* yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Groupes : rec.bicycles.tech
Date : 16. Sep 2024, 22:06:25
On 9/16/2024 12:57 PM, Mark J cleary wrote:
My Wilier has a stuck right cup BB. At the moment the cranks spin fine. It has an FSA Mega Exp crankset that is the one that is not pinch bolts but uses self extracting allen key to put on drive side crank arm. Has the wavy washer in the set up. I think that is why the bearings went bad because it allows moisture to get in not sealed like a regular shimano crank and external BB.
 The BB is of course and external BB from FSA. The let side cup bearings went bad so I used a Shimano BB60  cup because I had a spare one. The crankset works beautiful now. However I would like to simply try and use the whole Shimano BB60 bracket. I cannot however get the right side cup off. I realize it is left hand threaded but it is really stuck. I tried putting in a vice and using the bike to turn but no luck. I have managed to chew the notches pretty good but it will take the wrench at this point.
 Any suggestions on how to get the cup free. I actually think it would be easier to simply hacksaw the cup and take it out but I don't want to mess up the treads in BB of the bike. I will take any and all suggestions on how to get this cup off. At the moment the cranks spin fine because the bearings are fine on the right side cup but I just don't like the set up. I may even go to a shimano R7000 crankset. ]
If you cannot remove it with mechanical means, try a heat gun first. Make sure the tool is very firmly secured to the cup and yes mounting the tool in a vise is good technique. If the tool is secure it should not be possible to damage the cup splines.
Thread lock adhesives break down in the 300F range which is pretty darned hot.
Failing all that, then yes remove the bearing and slit the cup. Knock the cup in to close the kerf and it will usually spin right out. With two slits absolutely.  At the very worst you could lose a small slit of thread, which is negligible (109mm worth of thread minus 2mm).
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org