Re: Coumting bikes

Sujet : Re: Coumting bikes
De : Soloman (at) *nospam* old.bikers.org (Catrike Ryder)
Groupes : rec.bicycles.tech
Date : 20. Apr 2024, 18:18:57
On Sat, 20 Apr 2024 11:28:59 -0400, Frank Krygowski
<frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On 4/19/2024 9:33 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/19/2024 6:18 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/19/2024 4:19 PM, Catrike Ryder wrote:
On Fri, 19 Apr 2024 13:54:55 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

On 4/19/2024 1:15 PM, Catrike Ryder wrote:
Why would
anyone choose to ride under somebody else's directions?

As is often quoted, for every room in heaven there's another
just like it in hell for someone else.

Everybody follows their own directions. Some people's directions have
them following other people.

So the grumpiest person here, and the one with the most limited riding
regime, thinks there's no joy or value in riding with others.

On my most recent group ride, I had friendly conversation with at
least 8 different people, and I was introduced to a few roads I'd
never ridden, some with beautiful scenery. At the group ride's end, I
carried on solo for another 16 miles or so at a higher pace.

I'm happy to be able to enjoy riding with others or riding solo,
riding fast or riding more slowly, riding for recreation or for utility.

Some folks are much more limited.

That's your value judgement on a matter of personal taste.

Wait - what part is my value judgment? You certainly can't be
disagreeing with "some folks are much more limited"!

Meanwhile Mr Tricycle is free to ride wherever he likes with whomsoever
he pleases. Or with no one.

Of course he is. I made no commandments.

I'm maybe less a misanthrope, but I quit 'group rides' 35 years ago and
don't miss them, or that sort of conversation,  at all.

And I agree, that's (apparently) fine for you. Some folks like group
rides, some don't. (For me, it depends on the group members.)

Me too. I prefer people who don't try to tell me what to do or
complain if I don't ride according to their plans and requirements.
Well, gosh, I guess that eliminates all group rides.

But at the same time, you don't denigrate those who do choose to
converse with others, or who choose to help others' riding in various
ways - by showing them nice routes they might never discover, by helping
them with mechanical problems, by giving riding tips to newbies, etc.

I'm also willing to bet that you occasionally give some minor greeting
to a stranger who greets you. At least, you don't brag about ignoring
people who say hello. And (gosh!) you've actually posted photos of you
riding with others! I certainly don't recall you insulting those who
ride with friends.

Explaining that I don't understand why some people like to ride in
groups is not an insult.

And about my "limited" comment: Everyone has limitations. I have several
friends with capability limitations, including one who restricts his
cycling almost entirely to paths, because of a combination of low power
and nervousness. But he'd never say his bicycling life is as good as
mine. He recognizes his limitations are detriments.

Imaginary friends are easy to understand.

Similarly, what if we were to compare your mechanical skills with those
of some newbie mechanic who could install a water bottle cage, but
couldn't adjust a derailleur or install a crankset?

<EYEROLL> Comparing Mr Muzi's mechanical skill to somebody who can't
adjust a derailleur is not at all similar to comparing your bicycling
skills to millions of people who also know how to ride.

Sure, one can use work-arounds (take it to the bike shop; or haul your
bike to a nice safe path-to-nowhere). But lesser capabilities are
detriments. That's fact.

Not doing something that one could do if they wanted to do it doesn't
seem like much a detriment.