Re: Chains

Sujet : Re: Chains
De : Soloman (at) *nospam* old.bikers.org (Catrike Ryder)
Groupes : rec.bicycles.tech
Date : 29. May 2024, 01:37:37
On Mon, 27 May 2024 19:28:57 GMT, Tom Kunich <cyclintom@yahoo.com>
wrote:

On Sat May 25 16:45:22 2024 Shadow  wrote:
On Sat, 25 May 2024 11:39:49 -0000 (UTC), db
<dieterhansbritz@gmail.com> wrote:

My feeling has always been that the cheapest chains are
as good as any, because they all experience grinding wear
of the pins, and I have never had problems with chains
other than this, so they get longer and get noisy on the
chain wheel and rear sprocket. But the chains I bought
a few days ago sound bad from the start, so maybe I was
wrong, and there can be too-cheap chains.

What do you lot reckon?

I've had cheap no-name chains fall apart, and some that have
outlasted more expensive ones.
ATM I'm using a KMC Z8.3.
700Km, gauge says it's good. Cost around US$ 12 here, postage
included, so that would be a "medium" price. I wash it with detergent
then rinse with water every 200 km and after it's dry apply wax.
I don't think there are many fake ones around. Not so with the
high end Shimano and KMC chains.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy  - Google 2012

Now that I wax chain and leave it alone I get so much mileage that I only bother measuring wear once in awhile. The Shimano chains I've used have not been quiet or long lived requardless of lube.

I just ordered 13 feet of KMC X9.93 chain for $66.00 including
shipping. I'm just short of 4000 miles on my current chain and the
last chain lasted 5000 miles, so I'm due to change it out after 20
more 50/60 mile rides. I also have a plan to reroute the chain return
path to get my bottom clearance up. Some of my rides now involve speed
bumps that I have to ride around.