Re: Tire patch failure

Sujet : Re: Tire patch failure
De : Soloman (at) *nospam* old.bikers.org (Catrike Ryder)
Groupes : rec.bicycles.tech
Date : 04. Jun 2024, 21:04:31
On Tue, 04 Jun 2024 18:23:40 GMT, Roger Merriman <roger@sarlet.com>
wrote:

Catrike Ryder <Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:

I collected two old leaky tire tubes and proceeded to patch them. I've
patched many tire and never had any problems. The patches all leaked
and I discovered I could pull them off.  I patched them again and
pulled them off again. The patches were labeled "Thumbs Up," made in
China, and came in a large quantity. The tubes were Continental.  Has
anyone else used these patched or had this problem. At any rate,
beware what I believe is a faulty product.

I’ve certainly had pre glued patch’s that just haven’t worked. But to be
honest my bikes either don’t have tubes (Gravel bike) or the MTB last
puncture was 10 years ago! I’ve gone through a few tires, drive chain parts
and am getting a new rear shock fitted (hopefully) as it’s started to loose
air.

On the commute bike last one was a year or so ago passed a building site
and picked up a fairly substantial screw which I had to unscrew out! Before
that good few years.

Generally only if I let the tire get too many war wounds ie do much more
than 5K, the tread will last I’d assume 10k+ but do eventually become
puncture magnets.

Mind you didn’t puncture when I ripped the sidewall few years back, tube
was fine!

So patching tubes is something I do very rarely if at all.

Roger Merriman

These were not the preglued patches. I tried one of those once and
discovered they do not work. I've tossed the patches and ordered some
from Park Tool. I tossed the vulcanizing glue that came with those
patches, too.