Re: Tire patch failure

Sujet : Re: Tire patch failure
De : Soloman (at) *nospam* old.bikers.org (Catrike Ryder)
Groupes : rec.bicycles.tech
Date : 05. Jun 2024, 19:45:42
On Wed, 05 Jun 2024 17:40:37 GMT, Tom Kunich <cyclintom@yahoo.com>
wrote:

On Wed Jun 5 04:17:42 2024 Catrike Ryder  wrote:
On Tue, 4 Jun 2024 15:51:46 -0700, NFN Smith <worldoff9908@gmail.com>
wrote:

Zen Cycle wrote:
On 6/4/2024 2:44 PM, NFN Smith wrote:
Roger Merriman wrote:
Catrike Ryder <Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:

If he's using the pre-glued patches, failed patches may be a matter of
the glue.

Yup, the other issue is that placing the patch on the tube while it's
flat will result in the patch pulling and shearing away from the repair
spot because the pre-glued patches are a plastic (vinyl, methinks) that
doesn't stretch with the rubber. On a hot day it might not even hold
enough to get you home since the glue stays more fluid, but usually it's
enough.

That's a good reminder.

Now that I think of it, I probably should keep a set of pre-glued
patches in my gear bag, but as a matter of course, replace at the end
of the season, under the assumption that any unused patches will
probably have bad glue.

Maybe something I could do with the tubes of rubber cement would be to
keep them in the refrigerator, where they're not so vulnerable to heat
and arid atmosphere.

I gave up on that. I carry a spare tube and a traditional patch kit on
my commuter. In the cases where I've had to break into the glue, I just
replace the entire kit and tube before the next ride

I always carry a spare tube, but I need to make sure I have a kit in the
bag, as well, for the rare occasion of multiple punctures on the same
ride.  Last year, I had a couple of outbreaks of that kind of thing,
either more than one puncture on one ride, or punctures on consecutive
rides.  In the latter case, when that happened more than once, I
realized that it was time for a new set of tires.

Smith

I used to try to patch flats on the ride, but now the sore back and
arthritic fingers prohibit that unless it's absolutely necessary and
it hasn't been for a long time. I never had the cement dry up. I put
the cap on tight and I never leave the patch kit where it can get too
hot or too cold.

The Rema cement is very well sealed but the cheapo Chinese patch kits evaporate all of the glue out of the poorly sealed tubes so that more than half of the tubes appear to be empty when they contain nothing but the very low amount of hardened glue.

The only patch kits to trust are Rema and Park.

I learned my lesson. Only Park Tools patches from now on.