Re: RE: Re: RE: Moser M82

Sujet : Re: RE: Re: RE: Moser M82
De : am (at) *nospam* yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Groupes : rec.bicycles.tech
Date : 09. Jun 2024, 20:45:12
On 6/9/2024 1:23 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Sun Jun 9 12:14:12 2024 AMuzi  wrote:
On 6/9/2024 11:37 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Sat Jun 8 20:00:11 2024 Tom Kunich  wrote:
The Moser is nearing completion. Actually I'm only waiting for a saddle4 now. My butt has grown lazy and I need some padding rather than a carbon fiber brick under me. The Basso came with az matching Flite Saddle which fits fine but doesn;t have a split in the center. So I have to order a Flight Gel for the Moser.

I have to remove the FSA CF crank from the Specialized Allen and connect the chain and install new shift inners on M82 and the Saddle will finish it off. Actually I have one on the Trek Alpha and can move it over so that I can test the Moser.

Oops, I forgot that the Moser uses a bolt-on front derailleur. I think I have an adapter to use a braze-on but I ordered a Dura Ace instead.  I'm trying to figure out wny my Tommasini with that non-compact front derailleur that mounds entirely doifferently from the recommendations of Shimano and Campy, shifts so much better and makes almost no noise than the compact version. And it doesn't throw the chain like the ones using a compact FD with that little clear spacing marker stuck on the FD.

This definitely has to be resolved for the collection since they ALL rube the front derailleur somewhere in the pattern while the other doesn't at all.

The Bontrager wheels have a threaded length of axle sticking out of the ends of the hubs and this is smaller than the wheels with solid spacers. So you cannot properly seat the wheels. I have several sets of wheels and the Campy wheels are a little heavier but fit and space correctly and work well. So I am tgoing to install a Vento wheelset modified to accept Shimano cassette. Somewhere I have a set of Shamalls that need to be straightened. The local whiz thinks that they bend too easily so I will straighten them myself and sell them off. It looks to me like stretched spokes but I suppose it could be spoke hole problems.

I don't know where I got the idea that a seat tube that houses a 31.6 mm seat post would need a 31.8 mm clamp on front derailleur but that is what I bought. Must have been a senior moment. So I ordered the largest clamp on - 34.9 and hope that it works on what measures out at 35.7 But that measurement counts the layer of paint I suppose. Plus I have also ordered a braze-on adapter as well. I have plenty of brazse on FD's

  From now on I will start getting ride of bikes and parts I don't need. I always was buying things to inspect like the Chinese 11 speed levers with the Campy type of lever operation and the Shimwano pull ratio. Didn't need them but was curious. If anyone wants them let me know and I will send them off. You'll only have to pay the shipping.  They do appear to be of good quality.

I dismantled the Specialized Allez to scavange the Dura Ace 10 speed but the front derailleur problem is going to hols that up for awhile. I will ride my Basso. I robed t5he Flite Gel off of the Trek Alpha for the moser and the one I ordered for the Moser originally will be in tomorrow or Tuesday. The postal systems is gone to hell and letters that used to take two days to cross the country now can take two weeks. In an amazing turn of events the seat post for the Moser arrived in two dayus fromn the east coast.

I have been trying to figure out the priving structure of old bike frames. I can tell you from experience that there is NOTHING special about a Litespeed but having that name on a titanium framneset somehow makes it worth as much as a new fully assembled bike from a shop. Someone on Ebay is trying to sell a Carrera Frameset for $500 without a replaceable rear derailleur hanger for $500. I happen to have perhaps the last example of the hanger in my collection in the world but he wouldn't take a penny less. So there it sits.

Do you know what a Waterford is? It is a Richard Schwinn creation and there is perhaps nothing more special about it than an old Schwinn Paramount. Why would someone put a $1200 tag on that and actually expect to sell it? Quill stemms aren't being made anymore and buying a bike that needs a quill headset is asking for trouble. The same for a Serrotta steel bike. There is nothing special about its handling but apparently the name is all it takes.

People need money in Bidenomics and I understand that. But if it never sells what the hell good is a high price doing you? You can buy a NEW Trek Domane frameset for less than they are asking for many of these steel bikes with the old style horizontal drop outs that prevent you from using wide tires.

While we may disagree about how desirable one bike is as
compared with some other bike, a larger point is that the
world is big and people like what they like.

Just walk down the street and look at couples. No matter
what you may think of her, she has a boyfriend...

  I am well aware of that and up to a point agree with you. But, come on, $1,200 for a Waterford well used and $2,000 for a Litespeed? I'm sure that someone wants them but can they pay those types of prices in a recession?
 With Bide3n's present immense deficit it will require 20 years of very defficult decisions to pay it off. Then we will have to pass a NO DEFICIT Amendment to the Constitution. (Save in time of war.)
 Everyone is hurting from the idiotic fiscal policies of that ass Janet Yellen. Quite noticeable she didn't say, "Tom Kunich was right" but instead "I made a mistake and was wrong."
We are in strong agreement on that point. Janet Yellen certainly did not say that.
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org