No more 60 mile rides until it cools down

Sujet : No more 60 mile rides until it cools down
De : Soloman (at) *nospam* old.bikers.org (Catrike Ryder)
Groupes : rec.bicycles.tech
Date : 10. Jun 2024, 12:21:17

I started out feeling really good. I'd changed my return chain path,
and cleaned the wax residue off the chain and idlers. The power side
idler had heavy wax buildup on both sides which was creating friction.
With the wax mostly removed, I lubed with Finish Line Dry.
Unfortunately, the change to the return chain path caused some
misshifting which needed to be corrected. It shifted all 27 gears fine
in the shop, but not on the ride. Once corrected, I had no more
problems with it.

More unfortunate happenings were two flat tires on the 26 inch rear. I
replaced the first one and patched the second. The first one was a
piece of glass, probably from an auto accident on one of my road
crossings. The second one was ????. It was a pinhole leak, easily
patched with Park Tool patch kit.

Sitting on the ground in the heat working on the tires depleted my
water supply (I had five 24oz Gatorades and one plain water) so
resuming my ride created leg muscle cramps. (Sartorius muscle again) I
could only pedal very easily, sometimes with just one leg, for a mile
or so before having to stop, get off and walk around. Eventually, I
came to a location where I could refill my water and the cramps let up
and I was back to my usual speed for the rest of the ride.

End result was 60 miles with a moving time of 5 hrs and a total time
of 9 hrs. I had a total liquid consumption of 10 24 oz bottles and
still lost five lbs. average temperature according to Garmin was 95
degrees.

My wife, who was following my GPS on her phone called several times to
check on me. I promised, NO more 60 mile rides in that heat.