Re: 'Innovations' in traffic infrastructure

Sujet : Re: 'Innovations' in traffic infrastructure
De : frkrygow (at) *nospam* sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Groupes : rec.bicycles.tech
Date : 12. Jun 2024, 18:06:23
On 6/11/2024 8:53 AM, AMuzi wrote:
Who thinks like this??
 https://www.channel3000.com/news/top-stories/what-s-up-with-the-big-red-boxes-it-s-the-start-of-the-bus/video_2e0ee335-6b89-5c58-94a3-79a8ca4c40af.html
There are too few details for me to really understand the intent.
As I understand it, Bus Rapid Transit has some possibilities, and quite a few places have found it to work pretty well. The general idea is to get away from the idea of buses stopping every few blocks, plus giving buses ways to avoid traffic jams. Supposedly, fewer stops picking up larger numbers of passengers and moving faster, like light rail but without the expense of separate track systems. If such a system had connected our southern suburbs with the city center, I'd have used it before I retired.
But the cited example looks more like minor enhancements to conventional bus routes, maybe hoping to avoid traffic jams? It's hard to say.
--
- Frank Krygowski