Re: Grease and waxes

Sujet : Re: Grease and waxes
De : jeffl (at) *nospam* cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Groupes : rec.bicycles.tech
Date : 04. Jul 2024, 17:13:46
On Thu, 4 Jul 2024 08:21:24 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

On 7/3/2024 10:06 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 04 Jul 2024 09:31:59 +0700, John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
wrote:

On Wed, 03 Jul 2024 17:19:24 GMT, Tom Kunich <cyclintom@yahoo.com>
wrote:
Now John and Liebermann are chemists. Who knew?

Goodness, now our resident BIPOS is telling us they heating oil is
Chemistry????

In RBT, it's not chemistry.  It's alchemy.  Start with mineral or
plant oil and Tom can produce anything he can imagine.

Hmmm... that reminded me that I promised Andrew that I would try olive
oil as an automotive paint polishing compound.
<https://www.safeway.com/shop/aisles/condiments-spice-bake/vinegar-oil/olive-oil.html?sort=price&page=1&loc=3132>
16 fluid ounces (473 milliliters) for $10 to $20.  The cheap stuff is
probably fake olive oil:
<https://brightland.co/blogs/field-notes/fake-olive-oil>
"If quality and flavor are non-negotiables, buy California extra
virgin olive oil whenever you can. This oil (...) is upheld to even
stricter standards than imported olive oils with often complex supply
chains and many middlemen."

I'll probably pick a bottle that will work with my salads should the
car polishing experiment fail.

We're having "excessive heat" and "red flag" warnings until July 10. I
can probably survive the heat, but I do wonder why the Russians are
waving the old hammer and sickle red flag in California.  Washing and
lubricating the car finish in the hot sun is considered a bad idea, so
I'll wait until the weather improves.

Sucks to be you.

I don't think it's so terrible to be me.  However, I wouldn't
recommend my lifestyle for anyone else.

I just had a perfect ride on a perfect
sunny blue sky morning with no wind. ( looking at rain from
noon today through Saturday...)

Ok, I'm jealous.  However, California has its benefits, such as it
never rains in summer in most of California.  According to this web
page, the top 10 best places to live in the US for the weather are all
in California (except for Hawaii):
<https://realestate.usnews.com/real-estate/slideshows/best-places-to-live-in-the-us-for-the-weather>
11. Modesto, California
10. Sacramento, California
9. Vallejo and Fairfield, California
8. Santa Rosa, California
7. Honolulu
6. San Jose, California
5. San Francisco
4. Salinas, California
3. Los Angeles
2. San Diego
1. Santa Barbara, California
(Note that earthquakes, wildfires, high housing costs, overpriced
gasoline, high taxes, inept politicians etc are not considered
weather).

Regarding olive oil, the secret to Italian olive oil is that
it's not Italian. Some large proportion is marketed in
Italian packaging but imported first.  It's 'the way of my
people' as they say...

Thanks, but I'm not blaming you for the transition from traditional
farming methods to modern industrial chemistry.  The mediocrity that
often results from mass production is the price we pay for keeping
costs reasonable, although $10 to $20 retail for 16 fluid ounces seems
rather high.

When I was in Israel, I visited the Mt of Olives:
<https://www.touristisrael.com/mount-of-olives/27213/>
The first question everyone asks is "Where are the olives"?  There are
none:

"Israel’s Olive Oil Industry"
<https://www.touristisrael.com/israel-olive-oil-industry/28198/>

Like everything else in Israel, olive growing has been politicized:
"Israel’s Campaign Against Palestinian Olive Trees"
<https://yris.yira.org/column/israels-campaign-against-on-palestinian-olive-trees/>

(My internet connection just died.  This must either be the hand of
God reminding me that it's a holiday and to get off the computer or
some sabotage by student protesters.  Waiting ... 15 mins later and
the internet is back with a new IP address.  Must have been the hand
of Comcast/Xfinity).

Lots of olive oil from Israel to choose from:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=olive+oil+from+israel&tbm=isch>
It's all extra virgin for double the local supermarket prices.  Also,
there's Palestinian olive oil available:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=palestinian+olive+oil&tbm=isch>
Californian, Italian, Israeli, Palestinian?  This is going to be a
difficult decision.

--
Jeff Liebermann                 jeffl@cruzio.com
PO Box 272      http://www.LearnByDestroying.com