Re: Garmin Edge 830 elevation issues

Sujet : Re: Garmin Edge 830 elevation issues
De : jeffl (at) *nospam* cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Groupes : rec.bicycles.tech
Date : 05. Aug 2024, 02:57:18
On Sun, 04 Aug 2024 21:06:28 GMT, Roger Merriman <roger@sarlet.com>
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com> wrote:
"Rain and moisture has serious detrimental effect on 830"
<https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/edge-830/194977/rain-and-moisture-has-serious-detrimental-effect-on-830>

The Gradient lag etc is exhibited on Garmin and other units with and
without a barometer.

I've owned and worked with marine GPS devices that don't have an
altimeter.  Marine navigation works at sea level (unless you're using
a sextant, which requires dip (height of eye) correction).

I've noticed some complaints that the Edge 830 sometimes displays one
elevation but records a different number.  This is usually followed by
a comment that the difference was quite small.  I don't think of it
quite that way.  Such a difference leaves open the possibility of
cumulative errors and possibly algorithm errors.  I think I'll remain
cynical.

See section on "GPS & Elevation Accuracy".
<https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04/garmin-edge-830-cycling-gps-in-depth-review.html>
"Though I did see some elevation issues here were it showed me quite a
bit higher in elevation than I really was (300ft higher than the sea I
was sitting next to). Garmin isn’t super clear on why this happened,
though I haven’t seen it happen again. And again, that was a month ago
on older firmware."

Where as the elevation differences quite possibly are related to, a faulty
or wet sensor.

Agreed.  There's also the trap I've fallen into a few times.  In
cycling, the GPS receiver and altimeter is always moving, while in
hiking or laboratory testing, there are times when the GPS receiver is
stationary.  These stationary periods are very useful for data
averaging to improve accuracy or to recalibrate.  Except at ride end
points, averaging is not available on always moving cycling receivers.

I don't want to unload my experiences and disappointments with Garmin
and their products.  Sufficient to say that I'm generally disappointed
with Garmin and some of their products and support.  Yes, that's
cynical, but then I'm usually cynical with all companies and products
until they demonstrate otherwise.

The 530/830 was a leap ahead can’t remember if the 1030 had come out or not
at that point, but the xx30 line Garmin made to combat Wahoo and others,
mainly a much more powerful CPU so it didn’t just bug out as old models
would.

Essentially Garmin had to stop being so complacent the 520 etc didn’t fair
well compared to the competition so they needed to up their game, which
unlike Nokia for example they did.

That's a common refrain when a successful company discovers that it
has lost its technical and price leadership.  Intel today would be a
good example.  The successful company concentrates on production
efficiency and treats additional research and production as a
distraction from mass production.  After management has been purged
and replaced, an archeological excavation of the company research labs
usually discloses many amazing new designs the products which never
saw the light of day because they might compete with the existing
products that made the company successful.  This is nothing new and
there are policies that help prevent such problems.  Unfortunately, it
only takes one "temporary" decision to put immediate profits over long
term product superiority to trash the formerly successful company's
leadership.  I can't claim that Garmin fits into this pattern because
I don't have enough experience with their rather large product line. I
do know that Garmin showed a few signs of over-confidence and
technical ossification that might be an indication of a problem.

Yes, a silicone case will collect water and is probably a bad idea in
a wet environment.  However, it's a good addition if there's any
danger of dropping the Edge 830 on hard pavement.

I suspect the case isn’t water tight to the unit so water would still be
drops than a pool let alone the action of riding ie unlikely to perfectly
level.

A pool of water against a crack in the case will pump quite a bit of
water into the case.  Pumping high humidity air into the case is
almost as bad.  Both modes are cumulative, where the water keeps
entering the case, but not leaving.  I suspect a drain hole (or
desiccant) might help.

--
Jeff Liebermann                 jeffl@cruzio.com
PO Box 272      http://www.LearnByDestroying.com