Re: RE: Re: More on the Colnatgo Dream HP

Sujet : Re: RE: Re: More on the Colnatgo Dream HP
De : am (at) *nospam* yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Groupes : rec.bicycles.tech
Date : 10. Aug 2024, 00:08:26
On 8/9/2024 4:36 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Fri Aug 9 12:48:27 2024 AMuzi  wrote:
On 8/9/2024 12:20 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
The derailleurs cannot be properly set up because the FSA Gossamer (aluminum) cranks need an Italian threaded BB. That has been ordered but like everything else from FSA it has to come from China. It is due next week so that slows the assembly down.

The short carbon steering post locking device came in and I installed it. There was a long one there originally. It was rather silly being a long sluminum tube with slots in it and tightening the locking screw made that heavy thing expand. It was pressure and not riffles that locked it in.

I tried to adjust the rear derailleur but that will still take some work since the inner cable is very sensitive to length adjustment. I had to twist the adjustment screw almost to its end to shift the gears. The cable stetcher isn't very aensitive and the locking screw is at a very funny angle so that a tiny pull on the cable makes a large change in its position.

I expect that the Shimano 11 speed levers are better at that but I will only go to 11 speed 105 as a last resort though manual Dura Ace which showed up early for perhaps a half year are showiung up on Ebay - 9000 series levers and derailleurs. Though the 105's are just as good working and a LOT cheaper.

When I installed the new right lever something happened which occured before - I threaded the shift inner through it and it appeared to be properly installed but it wasn't and after I pulled it through to the rear derailleur, it pulled past the correct position and jammed in the mechanism. This required complete dissembly of the lever to allow a fine screwdriver to be inserted into the mechanism to push the cable head out of the jam and out of the lever so that it would be properly threaded. This is not a simple task and I would advise you not to try it and turn it over to a GOOD bike shop mechanic to do it if you make the same mistake. But I've done it before and knew the procedure.

But the actual threading is to shift the right lever into highest gear (the inner lever clicked all the way as far as it will go) and then SIGHT through the 6800 hole so that you can see the cup that is supposed to catch the cable end. Then thread the cable through that tunnel. It is not difficult to miss the mark. So you should pull the cable carefully then look again with a bright light to see if you hit the mark. Again since it is difficult to see you can shift the wire to see if it has threaded properly but it may feel correct simple by friction against the cup. This should be the easiest thing in the world to do but you CAN misthread that in a couple of ways so be careful. One way of telling is that if it is properly installed, you can feel the cable end seat in the cup but that takes a little experience.

When properly seated you can feel the small pull of the shift but a positive reverse jerk of shifting down.

Until you feel that do not pull tightly on the shift wire.

In any case it is now only needing fine adjustment.

The front derailleur will require installation of the crankset to adjust. Threading the 11 speed is harder but with the lever off of the bar you can look in and SEE that it is in the correct spot. The ten speed shift ratchet is in the front of the lever but the 11 speed is in the back.

Beware of 7900 levers which were the first generation of full enclosed shift snd brake wires. The front derailleur was unique and hard to find. The pull ratio was different I suppose.

This is taking a lot longer than supposed because I'm going from English threaded BB (the Moser and Trek use English threads) while the Colnago uses Italian. Italian bikes are losing popularity since Specialized and Trek are so common. Who wants to buy a super expensive Pinarello when you could buy an equallly expensive Canyon with English BB and not have to worry about the right side backing out under power?

Right. All integrated road levers should be in the
relaxed-springs position (RH= high gear, LH= low gear) when
removing or installing gear wires.

Shimano crank bearing assembly (not china) fits FSA Gossamer
and those are plentiful in Italian.
-- Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

    It is still possible to miss the socket, which I did, and have have it feel like its correct.
 The Shimano bearing fits the 24 mm EXO shaft whereas I have the 30 mm EVO shaft. The difference is that the 30 mm shaft is lighter. Also I believe in the older EXO models the lock ring has right hand threads while in the newer EVO the lock ring has left hand threads.
Ahh, too many 'Gossamer' products.  As many as 'Record'!