Re: Grant Peterson's Thoughts on Disc Brakes

Sujet : Re: Grant Peterson's Thoughts on Disc Brakes
De : funkmasterxx (at) *nospam* hotmail.com (zen cycle)
Groupes : rec.bicycles.tech
Date : 28. Sep 2024, 13:59:33
On 9/27/2024 9:39 PM, James wrote:
On 26/9/24 06:20, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/25/2024 2:58 PM, sms wrote:
<https://bikeretrogrouch.blogspot.com/2016/06/gps-thoughts- on-disc- brakes.html>

If I could summarize Petersen's view on disc brakes, it is that there's nothing exactly wrong with them, but they aren't the vast and remarkable improvement over good rim brakes that the industry has been pushing for the last few years. In other words, they don't make bikes with rim brakes obsolete, and shouldn't.

 <snip>

In the end of Petersen's blug post, he concludes by saying "Don't dis the rim brake. It's beautiful and it works, and today's rim brakes are better than ever."

Couldn't agree more.

I'm OK with most of that.

But braking force against the hub is the same, AEBE.  Any increase is at the margin, when a disc generates more braking force than a rim brake- a rare event given rear wheel lift.

(less fade, less loss from wet/mud etc are not reflected in force at the hub)

  Was there mention that disc brakes don't wear out rims?  Having worn out a few pairs of rims from braking, I like that the rims on my gravel bike are unspoiled after 14,000 km so far.

It wasn't mentioned in this thread, but it's been discussed at length in this forum before. Interesting that no one brought that up here. Thanks for the reminder, it's a valid point.