Re: [The Guardian] Dungeons & Dragons at 50: the collaborative fantasy role-playing game that builds you up

Sujet : Re: [The Guardian] Dungeons & Dragons at 50: the collaborative fantasy role-playing game that builds you up
De : spallshurgenson (at) *nospam* gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Groupes : rec.games.frp.dnd
Date : 12. Mar 2024, 01:26:43
On Sun, 10 Mar 2024 19:28:50 +0100, kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> wrote:

Source:
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/mar/10/dungeons-and-dragons-at-50-the-collaborative-fantasy-roleplaying-game-that-builds-you-up

Dungeons & Dragons at 50: the collaborative fantasy role-playing game
that builds you up

So much hype about the 50th anniversary. You have to start wondering
how much of it is actual journalism, and how much of it is really just
paid advertorial. Especially given recent rumors about Hasbro selling
D&D to Tencent; are they just seeding the news to make it look like
D&D is bigger (and thus, a more valuable property) than it really is?

Or maybe it is that popular, and is really worthy of all the
reporting? Am I just being too cynical? Perhaps I'm just unconsciously
gate-keeping, trying to keep the 'plebian' masses from playing my
geeky, forbidden hobby?

I don't have a hard time believing D&D is fifty years old (I have a
much harder time accepting that Star Wars is nearly of the same age,
though! There's no way Luke Skywalker can be pushing 70!!!;-). In many
ways, it /still/ feels like a game born in the 1970s. I think one of
the reasons all this news reporting on its popularity and longevity is
so triggering to me is that it ignores all the work done by OTHER
tabletop game publishers to help keep the hobby alive. I'm not sure
tabletop gaming would still be a thing had it just been up to
TSR/WOTC/Hasbro alone...