Re: [dicebreaker] Is the next version of Dungeons & Dragons coming too late?

Sujet : Re: [dicebreaker] Is the next version of Dungeons & Dragons coming too late?
De : gmkeros (at) *nospam* gmail.com (kyonshi)
Groupes : rec.games.frp.dnd
Date : 15. Mar 2024, 19:38:13
On 3/15/2024 2:38 PM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
On Fri, 15 Mar 2024 12:25:23 +0100, kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> wrote:

Source:
https://www.dicebreaker.com/series/dungeons-and-dragons/opinion/dnd-version-coming-too-late

Is the next version of Dungeons & Dragons coming too late?
  I'd argue that the new version is coming too EARLY.
 We as gamers don't really need a new edition. Fifth Edition is fine.
There isn't anything really wrong with the current edition, after all.
In fact, having a certain stability to the game is actually a benefit.
Revisions to the rules don't make for good games; it's the adventures
and settings (and the way the DM and players interact) that make for
exciting experiences. And trying to write good adventures on the
shifting sands of constantly changing rules isn't beneficial to that
goal.
 The release of a new edition is largely to the benefit of Hasbro/WOTC.
It allows them to hype up the game, hopefully attracting new
customers, and forces everyone to buy new rulebooks. It's being done
to meet next-quarter targets, not because there is any pressing need
for a change.
 But what do I know. I'm fine with AD&D ;-)

I think the author is under the misconception that DnD needs a new edition to be successful, and that new editions would be something good.
But WotC is very careful about not wanting an actual new edition because they are afraid their players will jump ship to other games.
Anyway, I think lately I have seen enough evidence that Hasbro wants DnD to move into a media franchise, with tabletop rules just one of many legs of some multifaced behemoth of culture. Unfortunately they also are a faceless company giant which doesn't understand what they are selling.