Re: NPC classes

Sujet : Re: NPC classes
De : weberm (at) *nospam* polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Groupes : rec.games.frp.dnd
Date : 02. Apr 2024, 17:36:27
gmkeros@gmail.com wrote:

I recently was rethinking the use of NPC classes in my (mostly
OSR-style) games. Previously I had dismissed them as unsuccessful
attempts at making overpowered PC classes. But reading them "as written"
they make much more sense as human boss monsters in a lot of cases.

I specifically mean stuff like e.g. Lew Pulsipher's Necromancer class,
which is a terrible class for players (it demands human sacrifices of
increasing specificity to advance), but does actually make more sense
when used as a maybe recurring human antagonist who keeps getting
stronger as over the course of a PCs career.

I also looked at the Witch class from Dragon magazine but find that one
oddly lacking.

What are your preferred NPC classes, if any?

I always liked the Death Master from Dragon Magazine. It was a bit
overpowered for a PC, plus there was that inevitable march towards Chaotic
Evil alignment,  but I remember having fun making it a recurring NPC who
eventually became a foe.

Now that I mention it, I did play one as a character in a Munchkin Realms
campaign and it got interesting when he became CE during the Time of
Troubles.

--
Let's go Brandon!