Re: New DnD products from LEGO and... Converse?

Sujet : Re: New DnD products from LEGO and... Converse?
De : justisaur (at) *nospam* yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Groupes : rec.games.frp.dnd
Date : 09. Apr 2024, 23:55:05
On 4/9/2024 8:01 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
On Tue, 9 Apr 2024 10:00:10 +0200, Kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> wrote:
On 4/8/2024 5:10 PM, Justisaur wrote:
On 4/6/2024 11:06 AM, Kyonshi wrote:

Just came across this: Dungeons and Dragons Hero's Potion of Power
https://dice.camp/@monsterfight5e/112225397406824778

Interesting they're using the TSR Mentzer Basic D&D art and logo.

It is rather iconic I think. More iconic that most other DnD art lately.
 Well, you can't go wrong with classic Elmore art. The new stuff tends
to be more... cartoony, I suppose. More comic-book. It has softer
lines and more curves. I preferred the grittier artwork used by
Elmore, Caldwell, Easley and the rest. They had sharp lines and all
these little details that made the visuals a delight to stare at as
you picked out all the tiny particulars.
 That art really helped set the tone for the sort of campaigns I liked
to play: games which focused on strategy and preparation, where
details mattered, where not having that ten-foot pole could doom your
party (and how getting that pole through the dungeon was a real
concern!). Modern games tend to be more relaxed in terms of
preparation, more focused on the action and powering up the PCs. You
know: more comic-book.
 Which is all fine, it's just not the sort of game I enjoy. But it goes
to show how the artwork can influence the style of the game.
That explains why I like 1e art, Trampier and Otis particularly.  Some of it is humorous, some of it looks thrown together, some like a psychedelic trip, much of it weird, but some just has a je ne sais quoi rawness that really grabs me.
Just how I like to run a game.
--
-Justisaur
  ø-ø