Re: Study: Dungeons and Dragons may improve mental health

Sujet : Re: Study: Dungeons and Dragons may improve mental health
De : spallshurgenson (at) *nospam* gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Groupes : rec.games.frp.dnd
Date : 18. Apr 2024, 18:30:39
On Thu, 18 Apr 2024 01:15:57 +0200, Kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> wrote:

On 4/18/2024 12:29 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

(I just wish I had more to say about frp.dnd... but I'm barely
involved in the game anymore and completely out of touch with the
latest trends. I mean, I guess we could rehash old issues, like: who
would in a fight, Drizzt Duorden or Elminster? ;-)

cue to me ranting how the Forgotten Realms are the worst of the DnD
settings and really never should have become as popular as they somehow are

I actually quite enjoyed the original "Forgotten Realms" setting, as
described in the originally grey-boxed AD&D release. A lot of my own
campaign material emulated the style of its 'Cyclopedia of the Realms'
sourcebook. It was only later that the setting started to annoy me, as
it became ever-more magic-heavy and every corner of it was detailed by
TSR/WOTC, leaving no room for exploration or development by players
and DMs. Forcing obvious fantasy-equivalents to real-world places
(Kara Tur = China! Maztica = Central America! Al Qadim = Mythic
Arabia!) didn't help; it just made the entire construct feel all the
more disjointed. And once certain characters started gaining undue
popularity, the whole thing started feeling weirdly tiny and
soap-operaish ("Oh look, Drizzt Duorden is in this adventure too!")

The "Forgotten Realms" was never /great/, but in its original form, it
was a good 'starting point' - a baseline 'adventure world' -  for
beginner players, I think. It certainly appealed to me more than the
"Mystara" setting of BECMI D&D, or Greyhawk.