Re: A Monday Miscellany of Links Pt. XVIII

Sujet : Re: A Monday Miscellany of Links Pt. XVIII
De : spallshurgenson (at) *nospam* gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Groupes : rec.games.frp.dnd
Date : 21. May 2024, 18:08:16
On Tue, 21 May 2024 13:13:22 +0200, Kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> wrote:

ANother of my link collection posts. Enjoy.

Random Tables
(Weird) Fantasy world automated generator collection (Lizard Man Diaries)
http://lizardmandiaries.blogspot.com/2024/03/weird-fantasy-world-automated-generator.html
d20 Random Button and Lever Effects (Whose Measure God Could Not Take)
http://whosemeasure.blogspot.com/2024/04/d20-random-button-and-lever-effects.html
Grotesque Gains (Weird & Wonderful Worlds)
https://weirdwonderfulworlds.blogspot.com/2024/05/grotesque-gains.html
d100 Carousing (Luke Gearing)
https://lukegearing.blot.im/d100-carousing

Does anyone really use these tables in actual gameplay?

I enjoy them for the read, and sometimes peruse them for ideas while
generating an adventure... but I'd never, ever use them in actual
gameplay. But maybe that's just because I like consistency and reason
in my adventures. I don't like just dumping an event or item into the
world without first ensuring it fits with the style and setting of the
game.

Plus, too many of the results of tables like these also seem to be
purpose-made to punish players for their curiosity. "Push button, roll
1d20... hmm, the entire room explodes with 2d6 fireballs. Because it
was completely random, there was no way you could figure that out
before hand; no warning runes, no nothing. Fuck you players!" And
that's just not the sort of game I like to run.