Re: [Bell of Lost Souls] D&D 2024 Edition Heads Back To Greyhawk, Makes Aasimar A Default Option

Sujet : Re: [Bell of Lost Souls] D&D 2024 Edition Heads Back To Greyhawk, Makes Aasimar A Default Option
De : justisaur (at) *nospam* yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Groupes : rec.games.frp.dnd
Date : 23. May 2024, 01:20:43
On 5/21/2024 9:01 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
On Tue, 21 May 2024 06:31:20 -0700, Justisaur <justisaur@yahoo.com>
wrote:

On 5/20/2024 4:20 AM, Kyonshi wrote:
On 5/17/2024 10:44 PM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
On Fri, 17 May 2024 07:53:37 -0700, Justisaur <justisaur@yahoo.com>
wrote:

I find the choice of goliaths a bit weird. I would have thought they'd
choose something they can trademark, but I doubt you can properly
trademark a character type based on a biblical story, wihthout even the
name changed.

They seem like they're just 1e's Half-Ogre with a different skin and
origin.  Also not really trademarkable.
 I was never fond of Half-Orcs, but that's probably mostly because -
when we started playing - the race was almost always played as an
'evil' character... and evil PCs usually caused more problems for the
party than they were worth. It was always the same sort of players who
picked Half Orc characters too; they'd inevitably choose the assassin
class, backstab all the other characters, and then demand the DM give
them XP for the deed.
 When I started DMing, I didn't outright forbid half-orc characters but
did discourage players from chosing them. As the setting developed,
half-orcs became an impossibility, just because humans and goblinoids
couldn't crossbreed (earlier 'half-orcs' were retconned to be just
particularly human-looking orcs ;-)
I don't remember any of those, most DMs in my area banned assassins. I was one who didn't exactly, but I banned evil characters, so you could technically play one if you started higher than level 1 and had changed your alignment in your background.
The asshole PVPers were mostly theives, or multiclass with theives and or magic-users.
I also had a rule of no PVP after I quickly got tired of that.  If some character was particularly bad and acting evil anyway, causing trouble for the party in other ways, I'd lift it.  That only happened a couple times and the offending character was quickly dealt with by *all* the rest of the party, and the player never returned.
All I ever saw with half-orcs were straight fighters, I played a couple myself.

I'd have outright forbidden half-ogres from the start, though.
I let one guy play one as he was the Champions GM, everyone else and I wanted him to play, and he said that's the only way he'd play, but it didn't go well.  He had a 3 int (or was it 2?) and basically just caused problems by not acting unless someone asked him to do something, then did the stupidest thing he could think of that might vaguely have something to do with what he was asked.  He was the only one who thought it was funny.
That lasted all of one session.
--
-Justisaur
  ø-ø