Re: webcam viewer?

Sujet : Re: webcam viewer?
De : blockedofcourse (at) *nospam* foo.invalid (Don Y)
Groupes : sci.electronics.design
Date : 31. Mar 2024, 17:59:30
On 3/31/2024 6:49 AM, Dimiter_Popoff wrote:
Oh that's easy. Because they have been piling shit over heaps
of shit for decades now.
It's not that they are "piling it"; rather, that they don't understand
the stuff they are piling onto or piling on!
How many fools think "Oh, we'll just run Linux!" and base their entire
product on a piece of software that, I suspect, NO ONE in their
organization has the skillset to understand?
With hardware components, you understand their limitations and
see all of their interconnections (on a sheet of paper).
You know what operating limits exist on its use and can verify
that it's use in a particular application (circuit) will
not subject it to stresses outside of those limits.
["Here are some electronic components that APPEAR to be able
to provide this particular functionality.  Please design a product
around them with incomplete knowledge of how they work"]
That's not possible with software.  Especially for software that
you inherit/embrace without having an intimate understanding of
it's design, goals, technology, etc.  Do you know what the first
instruction executed after reset is -- in the *source* code?
Or, even the basic order that modules are invoked to bring the
system up?
Notice how many folks will add a network stack to a device...
and not even understand the protocols that they will be using
(nor their expectations, vulnerabilities, etc.).  Or, glob
some layer of "security" onto a design ("Let's require a password
to access this functionality!") without considering how it can be
subverted.
["I put a note on my front door saying 'Keep Out'.  Surely that should
be sufficient to prevent any theft!?"]
And, with the legions of "programmers" who are just trying to
get something to APPEAR to work, there isn't even a real desire
to ACQUIRE any of this understanding.  Who can blame them?  Will
they be rewarded for producing a robust product ("But, that's
your JOB!  Why should we reward you for doing it?!") or
penalized for making a shitty one?  Is there even anyone in
the organization who has the skills to be able to make such
an assessment??