Re: PSU Ripple Update

Sujet : Re: PSU Ripple Update
De : cd (at) *nospam* notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Groupes : sci.electronics.repair sci.electronics.design
Date : 24. Mar 2024, 20:20:58
On Mon, 18 Mar 2024 07:19:08 -0400, legg <legg@nospam.magma.ca> wrote:

On Sun, 17 Mar 2024 17:48:07 +0000, Cursitor Doom <cd@notformail.com>
wrote:

Gentlemen (and others)

I only get a few spare minutes a week to look into this, hence this
update. Hopefully my latest finding might ring a bell for some of you
and assist in pinpointing the fault with this (linear) PSU.
So, I've carried out a few more tests and discovered that there is a
total absence of ripple on the storage caps when all the downstream
circuitry has been disconnected. So it's totally fine with no load.
However, as I re-connect all those downstream circuits, the ripple
commences and the more connectors I re-attach, the worse it gets. This
is a screen shot showing over a volt of ripple at only about 66% of
the full supply voltage applied:

https://disk.yandex.com/i/vgxfpXgNp-F4Yg

Now I did check to see if there was anything downstream which had
shorted or gone low-resistance which could possibly account for this,
but found nothing amiss. So the question is:
What could cause ripple to arise when even very light loads are
applied to the output of a pretty substantial linear PSU?

BTW, the bridge rectifiers were fine and have been exonerated from any
culpability in this fault.

Did you replace the rectifiers, until something (anything) changed?

The ripple has changed since your last photo, as have your test
conditions. You still don't indicate a 0V reference, so we can't
tell what the % ripple IS.

This waveform shows equal phase peaks at the expected frequency.

What is your problem?

RL
frequency.

I fell into the same old trap as last time and the time before that
and the time before that....
It was nothing to do with the PSU. I eventually tracked it down to a
coax's shield in the RF section which had come adrift. When
re-grounded, the ripple on the output completely vanished. Must  have
been somehow picking it up from the mains transformer despite all the
screening and compartmentalisation in this device.
All that time I wasted on the PSU - just because ripple *has* to be a
PSU problem, doesn't it. Until it isn't, that is.