Re: +48 precharge

Sujet : Re: +48 precharge
De : jjlarkin (at) *nospam* highlandtechnology.com (John Larkin)
Groupes : sci.electronics.design
Date : 25. Mar 2024, 00:09:34
On Sun, 24 Mar 2024 20:58:22 -0000 (UTC), Phil Hobbs

Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@comcast.net> wrote:
On Sun, 24 Mar 2024 12:14:57 -0700, John Larkin
<jjlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> wrote:

We have a board that tends to blow up.

It has a couple of isolated dc/dc converters, gate driver chips and
big mosfet full-bridges driving transformers. The gate drivers get
their inputs from an FPGA.

The probelm is that the +48 volts to the h-bridges comes up at power
turn-on, but the FPGA is configured some minutes later, after Linux
boots up. And I don't entirely trust the FPGA outputs meanwhile.
Possibly never.

After designing many complex fixes, a simple fix is to precharge the
module's +48 rail gently, and slam it on hard after everything is
verified stable.

<https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/i7mgvnad9h1itxf8p0t76/P941_942_Precharge_1.jpg?rlkey=tv3rh3kzlw40th20oes6hlhr2&raw=1>

The one-shot gets its I'M OK trigger from the FPGA, which can only
happen if the FPGA is working, I hope.

Can you require significant net charge transfer on a short period of
time from the FPGA before the one-shot will trigger?

Joe Gwinn

There are any number of ways to reject FPGA zombie behavior. The
retriggerable one-shot is pretty simple.

Another fairly simple one would be making the processor wait to receive a
specific message from the FPGA, e.g. “Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has
landed.”

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

The Efinix FPGAs are primitive, which is usually good, but their i/o's
can do tricky things.

I want a tiny SPI-interfaced chip that outputs a 1 when the proper
32-bit code is entered. Or 256.