Re: +48 precharge

Sujet : Re: +48 precharge
De : klauskvik (at) *nospam* hotmail.com (Klaus Vestergaard Kragelund)
Groupes : sci.electronics.design
Date : 29. Mar 2024, 12:54:02
On 24-03-2024 23:16, John Larkin wrote:
On Sun, 24 Mar 2024 16:10:25 -0400, Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@comcast.net>
wrote:

On Sun, 24 Mar 2024 12:14:57 -0700, John Larkin
<jjlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> wrote:

We have a board that tends to blow up.

It has a couple of isolated dc/dc converters, gate driver chips and
big mosfet full-bridges driving transformers. The gate drivers get
their inputs from an FPGA.

The probelm is that the +48 volts to the h-bridges comes up at power
turn-on, but the FPGA is configured some minutes later, after Linux
boots up. And I don't entirely trust the FPGA outputs meanwhile.
Possibly never.

After designing many complex fixes, a simple fix is to precharge the
module's +48 rail gently, and slam it on hard after everything is
verified stable.

<https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/i7mgvnad9h1itxf8p0t76/P941_942_Precharge_1.jpg?rlkey=tv3rh3kzlw40th20oes6hlhr2&raw=1>

The one-shot gets its I'M OK trigger from the FPGA, which can only
happen if the FPGA is working, I hope.

Can you require significant net charge transfer on a short period of
time from the FPGA before the one-shot will trigger?

Joe Gwinn
 The retriggerable one-shot is 1 microsecond, and the FPGA (once it's
alive and well) will clock it at 2 MHz. No clock, no hard +48.
 We'll have seconds available to charge the filter caps, before we make
the I'M_OK signal to enable stuff. It a Linux system!

The FPGA will have a defined state during startup, and your gatedrivers have UVLO, so during boot the FPGAs are defined as high-z, and you use a pull-down resistor to pull the outputs low during boot. Normally you would use a delay for the VDD for the gatedrivers, so both ramping VCC and controlled VDD start makes sure there are no conflict.
I am currently working on a 3MW converter. We are controlling it directly from a FPGA, like described above.
When I worked at Vestas doing 6MW wind turbine, we did it the same way.
Cheers
Klaus