State of the Art engineering

Sujet : State of the Art engineering
De : blockedofcourse (at) *nospam* foo.invalid (Don Y)
Groupes : sci.electronics.design
Date : 30. Mar 2024, 03:29:07
A friend brought me a laptop that is beeping, annoyingly
(like set volume to max).  Continuously.
Google tells me this means "CMOS battery failure".
Wow!  What idiot engineer thought this was such a significant
event that the laptop should beep FOREVER (before and after
boot) instead of just:
     "CMOS battery failure; Press F1 to continue"
If having the correct time is so important, perhaps he
should have inhibited the boot process UNTIL the battery
had been replaced!  Wouldn't want some poor slob to
have to work with a laptop that is displaying the wrong time!
OK, cheap laptop so lets see how to get it apart:
     <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shrPQDtoniA>
TL;DR... completely disassemble the laptop to EXPOSE
the battery for replacement.  Likely the same idiot
engineer who decided it should beep endlessly ALSO
decided to locate the battery in such a place that
it can only be accessed by complete disassembly
(even though a little "access opening" BEHIND the
removable service panel would have done the trick!
Um, no.
"Sorry, Bob.  I don't plan on spending an hour just
to replace a disposable battery!  Maybe you can
find the speaker wires and CUT those!"
[Or, cut a hole through the case plastic so the
battery IS exposed!]