Re: Proof of principle demonstration of 3-D magnetic recording

Sujet : Re: Proof of principle demonstration of 3-D magnetic recording
De : alien (at) *nospam* comet.invalid (Jan Panteltje)
Groupes : sci.electronics.design
Date : 09. Apr 2024, 14:11:40
On a sunny day (Tue, 9 Apr 2024 12:00:40 +0200) it happened Arie de Muijnck

On 2024-04-09 09:49, Jan Panteltje wrote:
On a sunny day (Tue, 9 Apr 2024 09:19:46 +0200) it happened Arie de Muijnck

On 2024-04-09 06:42, Jan Panteltje wrote:
Proof-of-principle demonstration of 3-D magnetic recording
Possibility of ultra-high density hard disk drives with areal densities exceeding 10 Tbit/in² using multi-level magnetic
recording
   https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/04/240408130543.htm

Picture of layers:
   https://www.nims.go.jp/eng/news/press/2024/03/202403270.html

Great idea for recording.
Now we just have to invent a reading system...

Arie

correlation of 2 magnetic sensors pointing down in an angle?

MS1 MS  MS2
  \  \/  /
=========== top layer
    \  /
     \/
=========== second layer

Use fixed font.

Have not tried it...

Pointing magnetic sensors? Thin beams? Unknown to me.
Array of (non-thin beam!) sensors + tomography? Might work.

Glad I'm retired, this looks too much like the DocData optical tape storage I worked on.

Had to look that up, in Dutch:
 https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCdata
  strange, never heard of that
At some point Philips asked me to write the service documentation for their Videodisc.
I have written English service documentation from lab reports for Philips Mil in Huizen, and worked in their service-center, so they knew me.
As I had a lot of experience with Ampex magnetic video tape I suggested a dropout compensation system to them back then.
Went in to some detail in Eindhoven.. but that analog optical video disc never really came of the ground.
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Videodisc
The whole world changed when MPEG compression became available,
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-1
now you could store movies digitally in much less space, like on an audio CD.
and digital error detection and correction became possible.
I still have the old Laser Vision 92VP830 and 22VP932 repair method and service manual and schematics upstairs in a drawer.
 https://www.siwe.be/files/collectie/V366-Philips-Laserdisc-VLP830-200pi.pdf