Re: PCB laser cutting

Sujet : Re: PCB laser cutting
De : joegwinn (at) *nospam* comcast.net (Joe Gwinn)
Groupes : sci.electronics.design
Date : 17. Apr 2024, 20:13:47
On Wed, 17 Apr 2024 08:09:30 -0700, John Larkin
<jjSNIPlarkin@highNONOlandtechnology.com> wrote:

On Tue, 16 Apr 2024 21:16:27 -0700, Don Y
<blockedofcourse@foo.invalid> wrote:

I've been offered a small, 40W laser cutter and wonder if I
want to make space to store it -- as I suspect I don't have
many uses for it!

One that came to mind would be cutting odd-shaped PCBs.

But, I didn't think CO2 lasers were good with FR4, etc.

(Or, could I opt for a different board material to
exploit the laser's abilities?)

We buy blue anodized boxes and use a Boss laser to blast the artwork.

<https://www.highlandtechnology.com/Product/J744>

That saves a ton of hassle with labels and silkscreening.

I tried using it to cut patterns into copperclad FR4, instead of
dremeling. It didn't cut copper very well and burned the FR4. Maybe
some fast pulsed laser would work better.

Is this the CO2 laser or the fiber laser?

Joe Gwinn