Re: OT: Auroras

Sujet : Re: OT: Auroras
De : dont (at) *nospam* emailme.com (Wanderer)
Groupes : sci.electronics.design
Date : 13. May 2024, 08:24:44
On 10/13/2024 16:46, Martin Brown wrote:
On 10/05/2024 04:18, Wanderer wrote:
Anyone in Europe seeing Auroras?

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/aurora-30-minute-forecast#

Yes. On Friday night the aurora was very strong and it ran from horizon
to horizon N-S where I was up near Alnwick. Brighter than the milky way
and visible in a still slightly light sky with a thin crescent moon.

I couldn't see any colour in it but it was in moving ribbons. Alas my
best camera for taking deep sky time exposures was out of battery :(

https://www.theguardian.com/science/gallery/2024/may/11/northern-lights-dazzle-the-uk-and->europe-in-pictures

I haven't seen one that bright for over two decades. I missed two
similar ones last month and the month before visible from where I live.
Luck of the draw whether it is clear or cloudy. I have never seen one
that reached so far south and remained bright all the way.

A few friends have good photos of it. It was seen from the entire UK and
down as far as parts of Germany (and Hokkaido in Japan).

--
Martin Brown

That's similar to what I saw in Maine. I almost didn't see it.
It was like a hazy night with the moon out. I went out to try
figure out where the moon was and realized the whole sky was glowing.
Studying the haze I could make out streamers and pulsing shapes but
no colors. It was white like moonlight and bright.