Re: Re:UPS lifespans

Sujet : Re: Re:UPS lifespans
De : blockedofcourse (at) *nospam* foo.invalid (Don Y)
Groupes : sci.electronics.design
Date : 30. May 2024, 08:03:04
On 5/29/2024 11:00 AM, Martin Rid wrote:
Don Y <blockedofcourse@foo.invalid> Wrote in message:r
/Neglecting battery issues/, any observations on the typical lifespanof the electronics in modest sized (1500VA, sine, line-interractive)UPSs?  Or, common faults?APCs tend to be pretty ubiquitous, but they don't seem to be particularlyhigh quality (even the larger, more upscale units).OTOH, given our relatively infrequent outages, perhaps its time tojust switch to "switched outlet strips", instead?  And, grumble aboutthe occasional "flicker"?  (most of my machines can bridge brief outageson their internal power supplies)Or, deploy the even larger units to handle multiple loads?(sigh)  More frigging work...
 The APC's I've had never died.  Only the triplites 500va unit seems to grenade.
I've seen some REALLY tiny UPSs -- even smaller (in physical size; I don't
recall capacity) than the typical 550VA units.  I actually thought they were
outlet strips with some "significant" filters inside -- and, was going to
rescue them for exactly that purpose (typical outlet strips don't accommodate
many wall warts due to the outlet spacing and/or orientation).
But, when I pressed the power button, it didn't start.  So, I figured it
was yet another cheap UPS that was incapable of starting in the absence of
a functional battery (I'm sure someone can rationalize such an implementation
but it seems pretty brain damaged, to me!)
I've rescued one of the larger "Eaton" (maker of Tripp-Lite?) units (1500VA,
48V battery) but have resisted deploying it as it's internal fan runs
continuously, even in the absence of a load -- obviously intended for
a server farm and not an office or home.

Now the replacement batteries are another story.
What's worse is when a battery is truly *cooked* and swells to the point
that it can't be removed from the case by normal means.  Really, guys,
you can't ensure this doesn't happen (temperature monitor)?