Re: Fracking wastewater has 40% of US need for lithium

Sujet : Re: Fracking wastewater has 40% of US need for lithium
De : alien (at) *nospam* comet.invalid (Jan Panteltje)
Groupes : sci.electronics.design
Date : 31. May 2024, 16:49:37
On a sunny day (Fri, 31 May 2024 13:42:26 +0200) it happened Jeroen Belleman
<jeroen@nospam.please> wrote in <v3ccv7$277to$1@dont-email.me>:

On 5/31/24 13:08, Jan Panteltje wrote:
On a sunny day (Fri, 31 May 2024 11:08:27 +0200) it happened Jeroen Belleman
<jeroen@nospam.please> wrote in <v3c3uh$25n58$1@dont-email.me>:

On 5/31/24 07:23, Jan Panteltje wrote:
Fracking wastewater has 'shocking' amount of clean-energy mineral lithium
40% of US need for lithium could be covered by Pennsylvania's fracking byproduct.
   https://arstechnica.com/science/2024/05/fracking-wastewater-has-shocking-amount-of-clean-energy-mineral-lithium/

I'd think that extracting Li at a few hundred ppm concentration levels
from a complex mixture is likely to be expensive.

Seems it already has been done.
The greens already complain too:
  https://insideclimatenews.org/news/29052024/pennsylvania-fracking-wastewater-lithium/

quote:
  So far there is one Pennsylvania company, Eureka Resources in Lycoming County,
  working on lithium extraction from produced water.
  In 2023, the company announced it had successfully extracted “97 percent pure lithium carbonate”
  from wastewater and plans to incorporate the process at its three Pennsylvania facilities
  within the next two years.

Yes, I saw that, but there are no details about the process, the
composition of the raw feedstock and wastes, or the cost. I guess
they only did this in a chemistry lab with small samples, not
really representative of an industrial process.

The Li concentration of raw feedstock from Chili is five times
higher, and its composition is much simpler, making processing
much cheaper.

OK, I am no chemist so... maybe somebody here knows?
Google found one company, but not much on the 'how'.