Re: Feedthough/via that straddles (i.e., is bisected by) the cut edge of a PCB?

Sujet : Re: Feedthough/via that straddles (i.e., is bisected by) the cut edge of a PCB?
De : blockedofcourse (at) *nospam* foo.invalid (Don Y)
Groupes : sci.electronics.design
Date : 01. Jun 2024, 17:27:11
On 5/31/2024 11:18 PM, Jasen Betts wrote:
I'll toss together a sample design -- same overall size -- with a row of 15mil
vias NEAR the edge.  And, the exact same design with the board outline shifted
(so board remains EXACTLY the same size, holes, foils) so that the vias are
bisected by the board edge and see what the difference is in small quantities
and then in "rightmost column" buys.

If they flinch, I'll increase via diameter and try again -- until its
not worth the approach.
 There's a checkbox for casellation on their quote form, (click
customised service and advanced options)  it seems to
add about $16 if you want 5 boards, and about $350 if you want 500 boards
I tried a bunch of different options and couldn't come to a concensus.
I have to sit down and put a *real* design through the process and
pick REAL options to see what the consequences are likely to be.
But, $LIFE keeps getting in the way.  :<  I need to clear some of my
backlog so I can focus on specific problems -- right now, finish writing
a grammar for another project that should have only taken a few days
to complete, were it not for the distractions.  :-/

I don't know if you're buying sharper (or special) router bits, shorter
board stacks, or a slower feed rate with the extra dollars, but I
doubt it's buying extra process steps.
Yeah, but tying up existing equipment for more EFFECTIVE time per board
equates to the same thing.  I have to assume longer lead times are
likely a result of them trying to sneak a  troublesome job in between
easier jobs, a bit at a time.