Re: iPhone battery replacement

Sujet : Re: iPhone battery replacement
De : blockedofcourse (at) *nospam* foo.invalid (Don Y)
Groupes : sci.electronics.design
Date : 02. Jun 2024, 01:00:13
On 6/1/2024 3:05 PM, Joe Gwinn wrote:
On Sat, 1 Jun 2024 14:51:23 -0700, Don Y <blockedofcourse@foo.invalid>
wrote:

On 6/1/2024 2:19 PM, Joe Gwinn wrote:
On Sat, 1 Jun 2024 13:56:37 -0700, Don Y <blockedofcourse@foo.invalid>
wrote:

The battery in SWMBO's iPhone has swelled.  Not surprising as it
is ANCIENT (6s).

---------------^^

She is asking for it to be replaced:  "I *like* that phone!"

Is this actually worth the effort, given that batteries are likely
knock-offs (dubious quality) and disassembly/assembly is undoubtedly
a lesson in fumble-fingers?  And, what's the likely life expectancy
of a "new" battery?

I've offered her either of two phones that I use but "they're too big".

Exactly what is it that she has?

Apple likely has a phone of that approximate size.

Or, use one of the other phones, here.  I see very little difference
in size, weight, etc.  "Creature of habit"

(I'm also not keen on having to field her comments as to "Why X doesn't
work like it USED to...")

(sigh)  The land line was SO much better (for our uses).  But, they just
aren't maintaining the (below grade) copper any more.

[We had a pair of uniformed officers show up, unannounced, in the wee
hours of the morning -- hands on holsters -- inquiring who had called
"911" from our residence.  "Huh?  No one."  They claimed that they
often get false alarms from neighborhoods with buried services... as if
a series of snap-crackle-pops appeared to be 911 dialpulsed (I'm not
quite sure how that translates into 911 and not 823 or 645 or 15276...)]
 They don't need to.   Only 911 causes a detectable response.
211 gives us access to community services
311 for city gummit
411 directory assistance
711 TDD relay
811 blue stake (utility locating)
Of course, only 911 would cause someone to appear at your home.
I question how the correct dialpulse timing is detected as a
rotary dial phone imposes a specific make-break ratio and pulse
rate.