Re: iPhone battery replacement

Sujet : Re: iPhone battery replacement
De : blockedofcourse (at) *nospam* foo.invalid (Don Y)
Groupes : sci.electronics.design
Date : 02. Jun 2024, 01:04:24
On 6/1/2024 3:09 PM, piglet wrote:
Don Y <blockedofcourse@foo.invalid> wrote:
The battery in SWMBO's iPhone has swelled.  Not surprising as it
is ANCIENT (6s).

She is asking for it to be replaced:  "I *like* that phone!"

Is this actually worth the effort, given that batteries are likely
knock-offs (dubious quality) and disassembly/assembly is undoubtedly
a lesson in fumble-fingers?  And, what's the likely life expectancy
of a "new" battery?

I've offered her either of two phones that I use but "they're too big".
 It is not difficult, check ifixit com and countless YouTube videos. Over
Yes, I figure there must be a relatively large market and most "customers"
are relatively unskilled in this sort of activity.  I had hoped, however,
that the batteries would be shit or the phones would look cosmetically
damaged (to give me an excuse not to undertake the activity  :<  )

the years I have had complete successes with iPhone 4s 5 5c 6 6s and 8 -
the cheap eBay knockoff batteries give new lease of life to old phones,
seem to last a couple of years, possibly not quite as long as Apple
original but by then there are other reasons to retire that phone and move
up.
We have an iPhone X, as well, but it is a fair bit larger and runs a
newer version of iOS.  Plus, appears to have made some other changes
to the UI (e.g., the home button is replaced by an upward swipe)
that she points out.
I will undertake the repair as it will likely take less time than
shopping for a new phone for her.  I would have prefered that effort
to move to 5G, though...  (it's only a matter of time for the 6S and X
to be decommisioned by 4G's retirement)
Thanks for sharing your experience!