Re: Students go after the hypocrites

Sujet : Re: Students go after the hypocrites
De : jl (at) *nospam* 650pot.com (john larkin)
Groupes : sci.electronics.design
Date : 02. Jun 2024, 19:39:06
On Sun, 2 Jun 2024 17:05:00 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom
<cd999666@notformail.com> wrote:

On Sun, 02 Jun 2024 09:01:41 -0700, john larkin wrote:

On Sun, 2 Jun 2024 12:27:52 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom
<cd999666@notformail.com> wrote:

On Sat, 1 Jun 2024 19:54:06 -0500, John S wrote:

On 5/31/2024 5:46 PM, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Fri, 31 May 2024 14:59:03 -0500, John S wrote:

Welcome to s.e.design.politics. Go to some other group for
electronics design discussions.

Just you wait for the run-up to November 5th!

I don't do politics. So...what is your point in terms of electronics
designs?

My point is that every time there's been a presidential election, this
group becomes us.talk.politics and any discussion of electronic design
becomes off-topic and deprecated.

It was declining anyhow.

I don't believe so. Like you, I've been here for the best part of 30 years
and the s/n ratio's about the same now as it was then.

I think that people who can actually do component-level electronic
design are becoming rare. Kids in college type more than they solder.
I've had interns who are afraid of electricity and panic when I ask them
to analyze a 2-resistor voltage divider.

10 volt battery feeding series 9K and 1K resistors. What's the voltage
across the 1K? They stutter and it's hilarious.

You're not telling me these people have an EE degree FFS??

Interns are usually 3rd or 4th year EE students. "Uhh, I don't
remember that equation."

A  fun thing to do is to ask them about their senior EE project.

I have another quick test, to whiteboard a simple NPN emitter
follower. Intel is welcome to the ones that can't pass that!

I took a tour of the Cornell EE school, and I counted screens. I saw 23
computer screens and one oscilloscope.

Oh dear.

If EE grads are any good, the semiconductor outfits scoop up the best.

It takes no skill to rant endlessly about politics. The thing I like
about circuit design is that it has to work and it doesn't take long to
find out if it does.

My dear fellow, you're just going to have to become accustomed to this
group moving over to politics increasingly over the next 5 months. AISI,
this forthcoming election will be absolutely *critical* to world peace and
I do wish more people would wake up to the peril we're in if Trump doesn't
win come November.

There seems to be a trend for people to move from the left/right
fringes, towards the independent center. In other words, to show less
tribalism and a little common sense.