Re: College advisors?

Sujet : Re: College advisors?
De : jeroen (at) *nospam* nospam.please (Jeroen Belleman)
Groupes : sci.electronics.design
Date : 02. Jun 2024, 20:30:04
On 6/2/24 14:35, Don Y wrote:
Are there advisors in schools, nowadays, to provide guidance
for kids?
 In the past several weeks, I've spoken to a lot of kids "just
graduating" or "in a year or so".  Many complain about a BAD
job market.
 But, when I drill down into their qualifications, most have
taken "impractical" majors:  english lit, psychology, history,
art, etc.
 Didn't anyone advise them as to the marketability of these
educations before they invested 4 years of their time/money?
 "And, where did you THINK you were going to work?  Do you
LOVE kids -- cuz you're likely only qualified to be a teacher..."

Is that new? I don't think so. Graduating in some light-weight
subject has always been perceived as an easy way to get a degree.
STEM degrees are "too hard". And then they find that no one needs
such graduates.
That said, I've had people tell me that mathematics degrees are
only good to get you a teacher's job. Unsurprisingly, those same
people had no idea what mathematics is all about.
Jeroen Belleman