Re: A couple of problems with EV charging roads?

Sujet : Re: A couple of problems with EV charging roads?
De : bill.sloman (at) *nospam* ieee.org (Bill Sloman)
Groupes : sci.electronics.design
Date : 04. Jun 2024, 17:36:08
On 4/06/2024 11:41 pm, john larkin wrote:
On Tue, 4 Jun 2024 01:35:13 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:

On 6/2/2024 1:51 PM, john larkin wrote:
On Sun, 2 Jun 2024 12:32:25 -0500, Crash Gordon <uucp@crashelex.com>
wrote:
<snip>

Some African countries seem to be leap-frogging over 20th century
infrastructure concepts entirely - work using videoconferencing when
possible, use WiMax and satellite for internet instead of maintaining
cable and fiber optic, do last-mile shipping via drone delivery, and
generate power on-site with micro grids rather than run high tension lines.
 Maybe that's why they are so healthy and have such low unemployment
rates and such huge GDPs. Some African citizens even have electricity
and running water.
Nobody is arguing that that they offer a better environment than the US does now. The argument is that they don't have to get to US - or even better - European standards of living by going through the same intermediate stages as we did.

I never understood the right-wing refrain that "everybody wants to come
here" (the US) when it's pretty clear to me that what the majority of
people around the world generally prefer to do is stay home where they
were raised with the people and culture they're familiar with, if at all
feasible. Infrastructure is expensive, commuting can be depressing, and
most people don't like to travel very much in the first place unless
they're on vacation.
 Google says
 Immigrants and their U.S.-born children number approximately 90.8
million people, or 27 percent of the total civilian
noninstitutionalized U.S. population in 2023. This is an increase of
approximately 14.7 million (or 20 percent) from 2010.
The US does like hiring cheap workers from overseas. They haven't had to feed or house them while they were growing up, or educate them.
Australia exploits immigrants in just the same way, but does better at getting them paid them same wages as native-born citizens. Trade unions can be good at that.

Some large fraction of my employees are foreign-born and seem to like
it here. You don't seem to like it here.
The US is a better place to live than quite a lot of countries. It now doesn't compare well with Australian and the northern European countries - it was more attractive when I was younger, but the median standard of living has stagnated for the last thirty or forty years. The average might have gone up, but so has inequality, so the median hasn't.
--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
www.norton.com