Re: AD5791

Sujet : Re: AD5791
De : boB (at) *nospam* K7IQ.com (boB)
Groupes : sci.electronics.design
Date : 08. Jun 2024, 01:21:33
On Fri, 7 Jun 2024 14:28:18 -0400, Phil Hobbs

On 2024-06-06 22:38, john larkin wrote:
On Thu, 6 Jun 2024 22:19:22 -0400, Phil Hobbs

On 2024-06-06 13:57, john larkin wrote:
On Thu, 06 Jun 2024 10:15:45 -0700, boB <boB@K7IQ.com> wrote:

On Tue, 04 Jun 2024 10:48:00 -0700, john larkin <jl@650pot.com> wrote:

https://www.analog.com/en/products/ad5791.html

That's an amazing part. 20 bit DAC with 1 PPM accuracy and 0.05 PPM
per degree C tempco.

My main gripe is its 3.4K output impedance, which makes a lot of
Johnson noise. I suppose I could run a bunch in parallel.

Nice part but costs way too much for any products we make.

boB

What do you make?

www.midnitesolar.com

This stuff is hard to do also but we have competetion these days,
unfortunately.  20 years ago we had a large market share.
Unfortunately we had partners that had other ideas and that company
turned into a non-profit.

Just hope the Chinese don't ever want to make the kind of things that
you make, John.

We live on the lunatic fringe of electronics, things that are really
hard to do, things with extreme exponents. It makes money because it
has little competition, but the money is a side effect. I do it
because it's fun.

There must be something cool that we can do with a 1 PPM accurate DAC.

TI has a 20-bit delta-sigma DAC that's about $12, but it's only linear
to 15 PPM. I don't understand how a d-s DAC or ADC can even be that
good. It would seem to need femtosecond edge accuracies inside.

I'm not sure why ADI calls their Sigma-Delta rather than Delta-Sigma.

Delta-Sigma is at least in the correct order for an A/D converter of
these types.

We use those too but the audio converters are plenty good enough.

boB

I expect that the deterministic part of the jitter gets pushed out to
high frequency by the noise shaping.

Random jitter you'd have to deal with by averaging.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

I was thinking about rise/fall time asymmetry, changing average values
as duty cycles squirm all over the place.

Yeah, part of which is deterministic and part random.  DAC noise shaping
AIUI makes the the DS sum run in a limit cycle even for a fixed code, so
that most of the switching junk is up at high frequency where it's
easier to filter out.  However, I'm not a delta-sigma expert.

(They call them sigma-deltas for some reason--possibly related to gang
insignia.) ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs