Re: iPhone battery replacement

Sujet : Re: iPhone battery replacement
De : blockedofcourse (at) *nospam* foo.invalid (Don Y)
Groupes : sci.electronics.design
Date : 08. Jun 2024, 23:42:34
On 6/8/2024 1:57 PM, Bertrand Sindri wrote:
I.e., whatever criteria are used, it obviously is designed to reject
MOST sources of line noise.  Pity the folks trapped in that burning
building who fail to hit whatever design window is accepted (WHILE
the copper is burning)
 Which is just what the atty., worried about a possible lawsuit, is
worried about, and why they force the engineers to program the switch
to recognize "stuff" that isn't perfectly to spec.
Remember, here, this is all covered by law that clearly defines the
responsibilities of the provider.  One could see the telco's lawyer arguing:
"And, should we also detect two hookflashes, followed by a 3 minute delay and
another four hookflashes, a 2 second delay and three more in rapid succession
as the leading '9' -- and, not an elderly person slowly dialing 2 4 3..."
Recognizing "outliers" isn't easy.  I suspect the switch doesn't even look
for a '9' followed by a '1' and another '1'.  Rather, some "abnormal"
line activity.  Could a two-year-old playing with a phone happen to dial
an emergency services number -- how is 6 2 1 1 1 not seen as 9 1 1?
The switch likely can't store much state for each possible subscriber.
So, it can't "learn" what to expect from a particular line:  "Oh,
that's Don's line and the insulation on his pair have obviously degraded
to result in lots of noise on an otherwise functioning pair."
Instead, it has to adopt a one-size-fits-all algorithm.  But, this has to
address legitimate 911 (dial pulsed) calls accepting the tolerances on
how fast the dial can "return to home" (in the presence of a "fat finger")
as well as all of these hypothesized attempts at POSSIBLY needing assistance
and being inept in your dialing.
<https://maker.pro/forums/threads/can-telephone-noise-dial-911.66494/>
<https://support.google.com/googlepixelwatch/thread/205920957/911-call-while-i-was-sleeping?hl=en>
<https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/03/health/apple-watch-911-emergency-call.html>
The downside of false positives is that of increased externalities; someone
ELSE pays for the problem (potentially, adding bias to future emergency
     "In Grand County, home to a busy mountain called Winter Park, Sheriff
     Brett Schroetlin decided in late December to devote less attention to
     the crash-detection calls. Now if a 911 operator receives one from the
     slopes and no one is on the other end of the line, they know to ignore
     the call; no more referrals or follow-ups. None of the ghost calls so
     far have been real emergencies, Sheriff Schroetlin reasoned, and he
     couldn’t afford to waste limited resources."
I put a weight on each "potential emergency" scenario that I detect.
I will bother the occupant before I will bother a (remote) family
member.  The family member before a nearby neighbor.  And, the neighbor
before the police.
But, I can do this because I have more information than a string of break/makes
as well as intimate knowledge of the occupant and scene.