Re: Fast monostable with a transistpor array

Sujet : Re: Fast monostable with a transistpor array
De : invalid (at) *nospam* invalid.invalid (Edward Rawde)
Groupes : sci.electronics.design
Date : 14. Jun 2024, 18:44:33
"john larkin" <jl@650pot.com> wrote in message news:viro6jlt7h02ehbsq20em8uv5snn3736up@4ax.com...
On Fri, 14 Jun 2024 12:18:23 -0400, "Edward Rawde"
<invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

"john larkin" <jl@650pot.com> wrote in message news:8epo6jhf5k5nbkkqp5ot9b6nq1lhoia870@4ax.com...
On Fri, 14 Jun 2024 11:08:56 -0400, "Edward Rawde"
<invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

"john larkin" <jl@650pot.com> wrote in message news:hilo6j9dgctalpiu4v09rpdavf6fetm1cv@4ax.com...
On Thu, 13 Jun 2024 23:25:37 -0400, "Edward Rawde"
<invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

"Bill Sloman" <bill.sloman@ieee.org> wrote in message news:v4f2nm$2augj$1@dont-email.me...
One option John Larjkin doesn't seem to have explored is using Renesas HFA3096 five transistor array as basis for his
mononstable
and level shifter.

It offers three 8GHz NPN parts and two 5.5GHz PNP parts in a single array.

https://www.renesas.com/us/en/document/dst/hfa3046-hfa3096-hfa3127-hfa3128-datasheet?r=494216

I put the NPN model parameters into a circuit designed by yourself.
It's late now but I got as far as Time step too small.

That is neither fast nor a monostable.

Yes ok it's an astable and certainly not intended to be fast.
It was intended only to see if the model worked. Nothing more.

It doesn't work!

There's no reason to use many-GHz parts in micropower circuits. One
reason is that the sim breaks.

Most versions of the HFA3046 are obsolete. The only one left at
Digikey costs $12. It would be risky to design around that part.

If it's obsolete or going obsolete then yes it would make no sense to use it.
I would guess that you get to do plenty of work because a manufacturer has suddenly decided to discontinue a part.

Wasn't  HFA originally a Harris part?

There are lots of dual (non-monolithic) diodes and bipolars and fets
around, but the monolithic arrays are mostly gone.

What part would you recommend (single or dual) and does it have a working LTSpice model?

Just pull up some parts from the standard library, some low current
NPNs like BC547 maybe. Look for low capacitances if you care about
that; the HFAs are good in that respect.

Yes but BC547 sounds almost as ancient as BC107
Are they still in production?
What would work well at a GHz or two or more?

Why do people avoid making clean 4-wire connections on schematics?

Some places have rules about that.
I had trouble once, even though I put a very obvious and big blob where the join should have been.
When doing schematics of my own I prefer to avoid a one-blob 4-wire join. Use two blobs.

The duals save space, but aren't well matched so are electrically and
thermally equivalent to buying two separate parts.

I wonder if one could design really fast stuff with the HFA3046.
Package parasitics look nasty. And the big package will force ugly PCB
routing. You can plop a single tiny transistor wherever you want.

Yes that is certainly an advantage of single transistors.
Is a suitable single transistor still available for use in new designs?

There are zillions of single transistors around. I like BCX70 as an
npn gumdrop, although I use mosfets more often for simple things.