Re: Interesting reading about spread-spectrum, also for on-board designs

Sujet : Re: Interesting reading about spread-spectrum, also for on-board designs
De : jl (at) *nospam* 650pot.com (john larkin)
Groupes : sci.electronics.design
Date : 24. Jun 2024, 16:52:36
On Mon, 24 Jun 2024 10:35:42 -0400, Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@comcast.net>
wrote:

On Sun, 16 Jun 2024 07:01:41 -0700, john larkin <jl@650pot.com> wrote:

On Sun, 16 Jun 2024 05:26:35 GMT, Jan Panteltje <alien@comet.invalid>
wrote:

On a sunny day (Sat, 15 Jun 2024 08:43:12 -0700) it happened john larkin
<jl@650pot.com> wrote in <esar6jdro3r7ki70t17jsmpo48qkkg05na@4ax.com>:

On Sat, 15 Jun 2024 05:57:23 GMT, Jan Panteltje <alien@comet.invalid>
wrote:

On a sunny day (Fri, 14 Jun 2024 07:55:14 -0700) it happened john larkin
<jl@650pot.com> wrote in <45mo6jhcq8kisjmbrom8i1r17ljr6g4qu8@4ax.com>:

On Fri, 14 Jun 2024 07:43:53 GMT, Jan Panteltje <alien@comet.invalid>
wrote:

Interesting reading about spread-spectrum, also for on-board designs:

https://www.electronicdesign.com/technologies/power/article/55041243/monolithic-power-systems-choosing-the-proper-parameters-in-frequency-spread-spectrum-fss-design

That's cool, except for the usual dreadful fake pcb image.

Fake?
Sure some fun zig-zag loops in some tracks... ?
Why would anybody bother making artwork like that when you can just take a picture?

I've wondered that. And when they use a picture, it tends to be some
ancient crufty Dip-package board.

I have rarely used wiggle traces to add delay, but the fake board
images are full of them. And glowing traces. And vias without holes.

Hey, the electronic designers here could post pics of our prettiest
real circuit boards.

We have a bunch of switchers that use our own FPGAs as the
controllers, and I need to start up a project to make them
spread-spectrum.

I find it interesting, not much experience with spread spectrum,
but a lot with wideband FM modulation like for the old Ampex video recorders... VHS, Umatic, Betamax too.
So with a bit of luck you can send your commercials on a few hundred kHz :-)

We don't want the ss modulation to show up in the DC outputs as ripple
or anything audible.
.

RF wideband filtering, inductors.. capacitors...

The jitter pattern needs to create spectral spreading at high
frequencies but not change averages at low frequencies. There might be
some math involved.

Yes I'v heard about maaz
I do not see many tennis players use math to calculate how to move and where to point the ball.
Would take too long.

Given the speed of measurable electrical nerve impulses, most sports
should be impossible. Recognizing an image, one of millions, in
milliseconds is even more improbable.

Something else is going on.

In massive parallel:  Fit, extrapolate, intercept.

Joe Gwinn

Even massive parallel has layers of logic, and chemistry is slow.

I suspect that the nerve impulses that we can detect electrically are
not the real story. It is assumed that the pulse timing conveys the
data, which makes no sense.